DSLR - Nikon vs. Canon Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real can of worm that one!:D

I shot the Canon system for 20 years and been shooting Nikon for the last 21 now. worked as a camera repair technician and service manager for 10 years and have been involved in camera retail since 1971, I had my share of mishap over the years with both brands, but most where due to your's truly. What I can tell you from my experience is that A) I will be damn if any body can take lenses from the same price bracket and of similar focal lenght and under identical situation, be able to tell me which is which and B) if you drop a lens or camera, no matter what brand, expect it to break, if it does not, light a candle :wink: you have someone watching over your sorry A%& and C) asking which camera brand is better is like asking who owns Jerusalem, you are bound to stir up the action :D and not all of it being usefull.

Reality is that whatever you decide to buy now is really good and will make you happy. BTW statistically a lot of us are shooting cropped sensor underwater because the lens choice is not only more diverse, but more affordable as well.

Always look at the complete package... meaning all the things you need to get it under. housing, ports, strobes (what type of connection, optical is straightfoward and simple, electric can get expensive and complex if you want TTL), zoom gears, extension.

you can boil it down to a minimalistic kit of two lens (Typically: Tokina 10-17mm & 60mm Macro) but while you are at it also look at you dream list (later adding a mid range zoom such as a +/- 17-70mm and a 100/105mm lens) and see what extra gears you will need for thoses lenses.

I recommend you first decide on one or two candidate (that you, yourself like and feel comfortable with) and then proceed to see what is available as far as underwater equipment is concerned.

Cheers

Hey!! I agree with Jean!
:cool2:

Cheers,
Cp

P.S. Except about the 17-70. I'd go for something like a 10-22 or 10-24 instead. :cool2:

Last edited:
was all but going to buy the 550D when i decided to just play devils advocate and at least pick up a D5000 considering the specs were similar.

took me about 2min to realise that i was buying a nikon... the only problem was which one.

ended up with a D90 :) i think at that price point it comes down to which feels better in your hand and which menu structure you like more... either company offer 95% of the same features and quality with a few sweeteners.

I’m looking at making a change from an Olympus C5050 in an Ike TTL housing, with an Inon WAL and a DS125 to a DSRL. I plan on going somewhat mid range around $1,600 for the camera, unless there is a good reason to go up from there. It seems like the dominant players in the UW DSRL world are Nikon and Canon. Is there any particular reason for choosing a Nikon over a Canon or a Canon over a Nikon? What about lenses?

I also want to add a second strobe, either another Ike, maybe a DS161-movie to take advantage of the HD video capabilities of the new camera, or should I also look at changing strobes?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

6 on one side, half a dozen on the other. Either will serve you well. Canon is always updating their models, and historically always producing the "first camera to do this or do that". Nikon on the other hand are pretty slow to update their models basically focus on fine tuning their product.

So in a nutshell: Nikon make cameras for people who enjoy photography while Canon make cameras for people who enjoy cameras. And yes, I own and shoot both systems. Canon gives me the bragging rights while my workhorses are the Nikons :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom