DSLR - Nikon vs. Canon Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have recently started the transition from Film to Digital. I shot (almost) exclusively Canon film cameras.

When I went looking for a Digital replacement for my Canon A1, I found that my older lenses would not mount on the Canon Digital cameras.

I chose Nikon digital because nikon has not changed the lens mount for many years and therfore I believe that my Nikon lenses will mount on any future Nikon camera I may buy.

This is kind of a red herring, IMO. You changed from a manual focus system that is 25+ years old to a current digital system. Yes, Canon changed their lens mount in the early 80's when they went to an autofocus system. At the time it ticked a lot of people off.

But I would argue that in the last 25 years, Canon lens mounts have been more consistent than Nikon. They have not changed. Every lens made today with the exception of lenses made for crop-cameras (the EF-S lenses) works exactly on that 25 year old camera as it does on todays cameras. Nikon, on the other hand has

1) Manual focus lenses
2) Lenses that focus by the body turning a screw
3) Lenses with electronic focus (like Canon)
4) Lenses for crop cameras

Some of the best Nikon lenses are in category #2, from what I understand. The entry level cameras will mount those lenses but not focus them.

So basing a decision on whether a company introduced a completely new product line 27 years ago is kind of overkill, in my opinion.

BTW, I have Canon, as you might guess. I honestly don't think it's true at all the Nikon glass is superior. Each manufacturer has a range of quality in their lenses and the Canon L lenses are very, very nice.

Nikon, on the other hand has

1) Manual focus lenses
2) Lenses that focus by the body turning a screw
3) Lenses with electronic focus (like Canon)
4) Lenses for crop cameras

Some of the best Nikon lenses are in category #2, from what I understand. The entry level cameras will mount those lenses but not focus them.

Here's a very simple to read chart :D that explains this:

Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

While I don't know a lot about cameras I do know there are two big differences. The Nikon has better "glass" Their lenses are superior.

But Cannon cameras are historically more reliable.

Don't know from where you're getting info. I've had Nikons for 26 yrs and not a single failure. Hell, i've had a F2 and a F3 drop due to a strap failures and picked them up and continued shooting. My d100 was knocked off of a table and operates as if new to this day.

Don't know from where you're getting info. I've had Nikons for 26 yrs and not a single failure. Hell, i've had a F2 and a F3 drop due to a strap failures and picked them up and continued shooting. My d100 was knocked off of a table and operates as if new to this day.

I think the safest thing to do was stop reading that post after the first 8 words. :D A lot of disinformation/hearsay.

I am a nikon user, first off, but I will offer my views on what is important to me in choosing a system.

First - the lenses! Generally far more important in creating quality images than the camera body, though the photographer trumps both. But if we're talking strictly hardware, having the right piece of glass can make all the difference in the world. I've been a Nikon shooter for over 30 years and love the glass, so the choice for me was not difficult.

Second - ergonomics. As a diver, you should know that doing ANYTHING underwater is usually an order of magnitude more difficult than doing the same thing on land. The ergonomics of the body should suit you so that you can operate the primary controls with the least difficulty. Once you get into the realm of UW dSLR shooting, putting it in "P" mode and firing at will does not cut it anymore. I am constantly adjusting the shutter, aperature, and ISO (to a lesser extent than the others) on the fly, especially when shooting macro. It is critical that I be able to do this with ease. Any camera body that requires me to press more than one button or control at the same time was out for me.

Third - available housings. Again, tying in with ergonomics, the same concerns as with the camera body applies. It must be easy to operate underwater. Make sure you have a choice of housing manufacturers to choose from - don't settle on something that you're not fully comfortable with.

As for the rest, the sensor quality, and other features of any body you might want to consider, sure they may be important, but for me, these were relatively minor considerations. A good photographer can take a relatively "cheap" body and make awesome shots given the right choices of lenses.

My $0.02.

Warren, very true that unless you have more money than you know what to do with, once you are in a system it makes sense to stick with it as you upgrade bodies and glass. Assuming you have some quality stuff of course. People with 20 year old consumer level Canon or Nikon lenses should probably consider starting from scratch.

For those starting from scratch, you can't really go wrong with either one. If you've got family or friends with some good gear in either system, that may be your best bet as you might be able to borrow nice toys from them from time to time.

While I don't know a lot about cameras I do know there are two big differences. The Nikon has better "glass" Their lenses are superior.

But Cannon cameras are historically more reliable..

That is pretty funny. The OP asked a question and my take is that there is no picture you can take with a Canon that you can't take with a Nikon and vice versa. As for lenses, I guess all those guys shooting professional sports (who can afford to shoot anything they want( with those big white lenses (some of them on Nikon bodies) are totally misinformed. For UW shooting most folks will be using the Tokina 10-17 lens (which is available for many bodies) and either a 60 or 100/105 macro lens. Both Nikon and Canon have those lenses. Housings for both are available from all the players from Ike to Seacam. I shoot Canon and the only lens I wish I had that Nikon makes is the 10.5 FE but that will change when the new Canon 8 mm circular comes out in April (I hope). As for reliability both Canon and Nikon have factory service centers where there are people actually having to work, not just sitting around.

One area where Canon seems to be a bit ahead is video (the D7000 still does lots of compression) but that will change as well.

You can't go wrong with either (or the 4/3, micro 4/3 or Sony Nex). Get a system and get in the water, take pictures and show us what you got.
Bill

Thank you all for your comments. There are greatly appreciated!

I don't think you can find better glass the the L series glass from Canon. Personally i shoot with a 7D. I also have 3 L-series lens. One thing to factor in is the cost of the high end glass.

My suggestion .....pick up a used 5D and grab a new 11-17 or 10-20. The 5D probably is the best "portrait" camera out there. If you are using it out of the water and will be doing sports or any fast moving type of photography go for a 7D.....second to none.

Back
Top Bottom