Dual heat control batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bork-it

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

So I have a Santi BZ400 Extreme Heated Undersuit and i'm looking at getting some heated gloves, But what I want to do is is to be able to control the temperature of the gloves and suit separately from each other, my hands get cold easily and is usually the first thing that makes me want to end a dive early well before my body gets too cold. I'm hoping there is a way to do this, I'm assuming I can get something that will allow this. Any pointers or advice would be great!

Hi All,

So I have a Santi BZ400 Extreme Heated Undersuit and i'm looking at getting some heated gloves, But what I want to do is is to be able to control the temperature of the gloves and suit separately from each other, my hands get cold easily and is usually the first thing that makes me want to end a dive early well before my body gets too cold. I'm hoping there is a way to do this, I'm assuming I can get something that will allow this. Any pointers or advice would be great!
Bottoms of feet cold (drysuit, 39F / 3.9C water) Would start with the PDF in this post.

Then, if you (still) wish to do this, you'll need one of following:
—Dual E/O Outlet Inflator Valve (For some reason I thought Si-Tech made one, but I can't find it)
—Dual stacking caps + regular Inflator (eh, bulky)
—One E/O Inflator Valve, one stacking cap (getting there)
—One E/O Inflator Valve, one alternative insert such as: 35.110.006-Drysuit Heater Adapter with Cable

2/3/4 all add an additional sealing surface. You'll need two batteries, or a battery with two outlets.

I would hazard a guess that either your body is getting cold and you aren't aware of it, or more likely that your wrist seals if you have them are constricting blood flow. I've found gloves can sometimes take the edge off, but typically there is less air distance between heated glove and the water than there is between heated vest and the water. Sizing up gloves and adding another thermal layer (wool, synthetic, maybe the new FE liners) would help this as well.

Well that will give me some ideas and something to read. Good shout on the wrist seals, I use kubi dry gloves with silicon wrist seals, never thought that they could be too tigh.

Well that will give me some ideas and something to read. Good shout on the wrist seals, I use kubi dry gloves with silicon wrist seals, never thought that they could be too tigh.
I took the wrist seals out of my kubi rings after the 2nd or 3rd dive day. I can raise my hand slightly and get a glove full of warm air any time I want. Unless you have serious deco obligations then a glove tear isn't a big problem.

But what I want to do is is to be able to control the temperature of the gloves and suit separately from each other, my hands get cold easily and is usually the first thing that makes me want to end a dive early well before my body gets too cold.
I used to dive with just Santi's heated gloves and thought that I would need something similar if I got the BZ400 or heated vest. When I finally bought the BZ400 I realized that if my hands are getting cold the rest of the body isn't that far behind, so I generally want to enable heating for both gloves and undersuit anyway. So I would say try it out before you make your setup more complex. The built-in cables for the gloves in the BZ400 are also nicer to use than needing separate cables for the gloves.

I've got pretty large wrists, ~20.5cm, and I used to run the standard silicone wrist seals uncut because they were not uncomfortable, unlike latex. I've since switched to cutting them to the last ring, and my hands are much warmer in my dry gloves, and they still keep the water out.

I think it's pretty common for people to run them tighter than they need to be.

I still have the seals in my Kubis. I also have smaller wrists and it doesn't cut off circulation. You can pull the seals and just put them on. Sit down and watch some TV and see if you have circulation problems that way. I like them in that I can control a leak from a cut glove better with them. I use the silicone silly string that came with the Kubis. It is enough to let air bleed from the suit into the glove, and out again. Without it I get glove squeeze.

What are you running for glove liners? I went through a few different liners until I found some that work good for me. Thin enough to fit in the gloves (I did have to up size the gloves a size to fit the liners I like). But finding thin and warm is a bit tricky. These are the two versions I go to these days (I know they are no longer available, but stuff nearly the same exists) and Not sure if they will work in super cold water, but they have been good down to the upper 40's for me.

I just posted this thread might be worth looking at:

I use heated-gloves separately from the heated BZ400, with this stacking Apeks Sitech Double Connector Adapter - SmartTex
My hands has get really cold, so I needed to run the heat separately. I chose to not have seals in my ringsystem(Nordic Blue). A little dive-depending, I usually connect the gloves to the light-canister and the suit to the normal heating-battery. This works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom