Under-glove recommendations for long cold dives with Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacca Deeble

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations to keep my hands warm whilst maintaining dexterity whilst diving my dry glove systems for 3+ hours in waters <6C.

The rest of my drysuit configuration is fairly dialled, and using a heated vest I am happy for 3+ hours in waters <6C, asides from my hands and wrists which get very cold and stop being that functional!

The work I do requires dexterity, and so I am keen to avoid bulky heated glove systems and I would rather stay with 5 fingered dry gloves rather than go down the 7mm lobster mitt wet glove route.

My current set up is a pair of Fourth Element undergloves, then a pair of thin wool gloves and then a pair of 3mm neoprene fingerless gloves overtop. Dexterity is OK, temperature is not.

What do you guys use in similiar situations?

I have been recommended trying thicker felted woolen gloves, but I cannot find a supplier for these - so, just before I try and get someone to make me a custom pair I thought I would see what other solutions there are.

Many thanks

I use these under showa 720's. They work better then anything else I have found. You do lose a little dexterity, but you get used to it.

I'm not sure if I could do 6C for 3+ hours though. Maybe if I added a thinner liner underneath. Also depends on the dive.. if I'm working I've been able to stay in 3C for 2+ hours, but I was ready to get out. There was a lot of current to fight against to stay warm.

RefrigiWear Fleece Lined Insulated Ragg Wool Gloves - Warm Work Glove https://a.co/d/eQ5bkkz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231214-050110_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231214-050110_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Rob. I imagine I might need something slightly warmer. My periods of most activity tend to be the beginning and end of the dives when we're setting up and packing down - so for me it's really about keeping the hands going for the middle few hours when im static.

I tend to use a single pair of thick wool/primaloft mix gloves from Rab, but that's not always that cold and that long. If you're layering up multi layers including a thin neoprene, I think heated gloves will probably be thinner overall for dexterity and warmth. My wife has the Santi heated gloves, and she always says they are the best gloves for warmth she's tried, even without the heating, and for dexterity they're similar to my wool gloves.
You can also try wrist warmers, I find a dead spot on my wrists between the undersuit and glove sometimes and bridging that gap should help.
Rich

I use these under showa 720's. They work better then anything else I have found. You do lose a little dexterity, but you get used to it.

I'm not sure if I could do 6C for 3+ hours though. Maybe if I added a thinner liner underneath. Also depends on the dive.. if I'm working I've been able to stay in 3C for 2+ hours, but I was ready to get out. There was a lot of current to fight against to stay warm.

RefrigiWear Fleece Lined Insulated Ragg Wool Gloves - Warm Work Glove https://a.co/d/eQ5bkkz
I second these

but 3+ hours definitely calls for some sort of active heat towards the end of the dive to prevent block hands

These gloves are THICK and will need larger than normal outer gloves, also practice with the reduced dexterity

How tight are your wrist seals?

Ragg wool gloves are the warmest I have found but for 3 hours you may need to look for heated gloves as others have suggested.

Thanks Rob. I imagine I might need something slightly warmer. My periods of most activity tend to be the beginning and end of the dives when we're setting up and packing down - so for me it's really about keeping the hands going for the middle few hours when im static.
I would still give them a shot for ~ $18 or whatever they are. Just to mention, I also have my wrist seals cut way back which helps air move more freely. Some would frown on it as I'm in real trouble if I ever get a flood and have some deco racked up... but gosh is it warmer then having seals.
I second these

but 3+ hours definitely calls for some sort of active heat towards the end of the dive to prevent block hands

These gloves are THICK and will need larger than normal outer gloves, also practice with the reduced dexterity
I think that's probably the only way to get to 3 hours in that cold of water.

Some thin silicone tubing between the glove and suit works wonders to transfer warm air from your suit into your gloves. My drysuit glove rings came with some but I bought extra on Amazon....I will ha e to check when I am home but I think the stuff I bought is 1.5mm OD x 1mm ID.

-Z

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom