Under-glove recommendations for long cold dives with Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure do wish someone like Venture would add a plug to be able to add glove liners already.

What does a Santi heated setup go for? I think Venture is like $900USD?

Also OP, they say if your hands are getting cold good chance it's from your core getting cold and starting to conserve heat. Not sure what type of hood you have? Could help.

I have a wool glove liner underneath a pair of light gloves I got in Iceland a few years back. It is the warmest setup that I have used. I normally do anywhere up to 90+ minutes in the winter time diving. Between the wool liner and the light outer glove, the whole system cost me probably $70.

On long dives in cold water I only use santi heated, but you must try them and definitely get the right size, if you’re on santi vest? It’s a no brainer, the santi non heated are also very good, I have tried others but when it comes to cold duration there is nothing like them.

As someone who does this type of diving regularly... You're going to have cold hands and not feel anything, or not so cold hands and not feel anything.

Use 2 pairs the non fleece rag wool gloves and showa 495 gloves. The 495s are made to be worn over glove liners and have thicker fingers than the 720s.

Some thin silicone tubing between the glove and suit works wonders to transfer warm air from your suit into your gloves. My drysuit glove rings came with some but I bought extra on Amazon....I will ha e to check when I am home but I think the stuff I bought is 1.5mm OD x 1mm ID.

-Z
I've been using Mickey D's straws. Cut them in just less than half, and hey-presto: air transfer. The straws' rigidity is enough to make inserting and withdrawing them super-easy, too.

I've been using Mickey D's straws. Cut them in just less than half, and hey-presto: air transfer. The straws' rigidity is enough to make inserting and withdrawing them super-easy, too.
I put on my glove liner before putting my hand in the sleeve and through the wrist seal. So the seal is on top of the glove itself. This lets plenty of air pass. Sure, if the glove leaks my arm will get wet, but these leaks are usually very slow, and very easy to fix. Besides, if you have a straw or whatever water will still pass.

This avoids the hassle of jamming a straw in there which you probably lost at some point anyway.

Santi heated gloves are pretty slim and give good dexterity and warmth.
how thick you can go with the under glove will depend on your fist size and the size of the connectors - I cant get a heated santi glove through my sitec ring as my hands are too big
I put on my glove liner before putting my hand in the sleeve and through the wrist seal. So the seal is on top of the glove itself. This lets plenty of air pass. Sure, if the glove leaks my arm will get wet, but these leaks are usually very slow, and very easy to fix. Besides, if you have a straw or whatever water will still pass.

This avoids the hassle of jamming a straw in there which you probably lost at some point anyway.
the advantage of a straw is that if to does leak you can pull the glove off and pull the straw out and the wrist seal will stop your from getting any wetter- put the glove back on and it will give you some comfort like a thin wet suit

I've not tried putting my liner on before going through the wrist seal, but I've tested layering the seal atop the liner. I feel that the spacing isn't quite right, and after a while, wrinkles in the cloth start to dig into my skin. I find the silicone-on-skin to be more comfortable. Maybe if I tried full-on wrist liners this wouldn't be an issue.
1702591486791.png

I see your point, but stuffing in a straw takes a matter of seconds, and Mickey D's straws are both abundant and free for the taking. I keep a small bundle rubbed-banded together in my gear boxes.

I use these under showa 720's. They work better then anything else I have found. You do lose a little dexterity, but you get used to it.

I'm not sure if I could do 6C for 3+ hours though. Maybe if I added a thinner liner underneath. Also depends on the dive.. if I'm working I've been able to stay in 3C for 2+ hours, but I was ready to get out. There was a lot of current to fight against to stay warm.

RefrigiWear Fleece Lined Insulated Ragg Wool Gloves - Warm Work Glove Amazon.com
much cheaper here although minus the thinsulate liner. I use them in 3C temps which is much colder than most folks actually dive in...

much cheaper here although minus the thinsulate liner. I use them in 3C temps which is much colder than most folks actually dive in...
What glove do you wear over them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom