dual tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read on SB that if you don't dive Doubles, you will die.

oh ****! does that mean your not diving doubles??!! you're crazy dude!

1) larger air supply
2) gear redudancy in case of problems like a freeflowing regulator
3) twin tanks tend to be more stable on your back than one large tank of the same volume.

R..

Doubles have become to be considered tech equipment for redundancy and decompression dives but I have several sets of doubles that are equipped with single outlet manifolds for only one regulator. I can do two and possibly three non deco rec dives without the hassle of switching regulator and BP/ wing from one tank to another.

Yeah these were common in the *cough* previous generation. I've seen sets like this but ended up wondering if those were scuba tanks or fire extinguishers :D

Just kidding. I still see some divers using this stuff but it's getting less and less common.

I think it's safe to say that in terms of scuba evolution, the single reg manifold is on the path to extinction. Historically I'd say it had a place as long as dual hose regulators were the norm, but these days it's ...well... a bit of an enigma.

R..

Yeah these were common in the *cough* previous generation. I've seen sets like this but ended up wondering if those were scuba tanks or fire extinguishers :D

Just kidding. I still see some divers using this stuff but it's getting less and less common.

I think it's safe to say that in terms of scuba evolution, the single reg manifold is on the path to extinction. Historically I'd say it had a place as long as dual hose regulators were the norm, but these days it's ...well... a bit of an enigma.

R..

Actually the single outlet manifold is still in production by Aqua Lung, used by military and commercial divers.

Its for the CIA and I'm forbidden to ment...oops. It's a simple question, really. Thank you for your reply.

Simple question but many answers. Anyway, you're welcome

Its for the CIA and I'm forbidden to ment...oops. It's a simple question, really. Thank you for your reply.

I take a second tank to hide secret spy stuff in.

N

I solo dive quite often and (in the past) used a pony bottle for redundancy. However, I found I was often gas limited on my dives and did not want to use my pony to extend my dives so I now dive independant twins in order to extend bottom time plus provide adequate redundancy. I currently dive recreational profiles.

There are several reasons. However the most important is bringing a larger amount of breathing gas with them on the dive.

The next question is why would someone want more breathing gas? The usual answer is that they are staying longer and invoking either a real or virtual overhead environment and require redundancy. Typically divers who are doing "technical" dives use rule of 1/3rds. That is 1/3 of gas in, 1/3 of gas to get out and 1/3 of gas in reserve. Divers doing that kind of dive plan and calculate how much gas is required. For example a diver might calculate that to do a dive he needs 50 cubic feet of gas to go in and 50 cubic feet of gas to go out. That means he needs 50 cubic feet of gas for reserve. He thus requires 150 cubic feet of gas total. Scuba tanks are typically 80 to 120 cubic feet. So to do that hypothetical dive the diver requires two tanks.

Note that I wrote breathing gas not air. Divers doing these kinds of dives may use breathing mixtures other than air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom