Duck Key/Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendi, the lead instructor/divemaster with Tildens hawk's Cay, is great with discover scuba and snuba.

Thanks for the contact. My soon to be regular dive buddy is taking the OW course now, but won't be certified by the time we travel to the Keys. So, snuba might be fun and of course, there's always snorkeling.

I've returned from Duck Key and wish that I could report a great diving story, but no to be...it was all work and no play for me this time around. However, I heard from several divers there that vis was awful. So, I don't feel too bad about not diving. (sigh)

Anyone else been to Hawk's Cay Resort? If so, what do you think about the dolphins that they have there?

I spent 10 days there with my family including 2 teenagers who had the dolphin experience. My daughter, who was 13 at that time, enjoyed the dolphins. Obstensibly, the program is supposed to educate people about dolphins, but the real appeal is the show. I have mixed feelings about keeping dolphins in a restricted area and teaching them to perform tricks. I'd rather see them in the wild.

Too bad you didn't get to dive. Marathon in 15 feet of viz is better than not diving at all. Last time I was there we found green water and poor viz, but we saw a lot of fish, including some very large lobsters and grouper.

redhatmama:
I spent 10 days there with my family including 2 teenagers who had the dolphin experience. My daughter, who was 13 at that time, enjoyed the dolphins. Obstensibly, the program is supposed to educate people about dolphins, but the real appeal is the show. I have mixed feelings about keeping dolphins in a restricted area and teaching them to perform tricks. I'd rather see them in the wild.

Too bad you didn't get to dive. Marathon in 15 feet of viz is better than not diving at all. Last time I was there we found green water and poor viz, but we saw a lot of fish, including some very large lobsters and grouper.

I have mixed emotions about it too, especially since the holding area appears to be rather small. I didn't get all the information about it so, I can't really say much, I guess. A few of us were contemplating a late night rescue though... :05:

I am disappointed that I didn't get to dive, but next time it won't be all work and no play! lol :D

I'm pretty sure the dolphins can get out of the pen by jumping over the little fence. I think the penned area is more to keep other animals out than to keep the dolphins penned. The dolphins' behavior has been so modified by food rewards that they are seldom far away from the area.

All, or all but one, of those dolphins were born at the resort. If they were released into the wild it would be killing them as they have no idea how to defend themselves and are completely dependent on humans. When they do sneak out of the pen it is a very serious situation as their safety is at risk big time. They are happy, making baby dolphins, and really are a great way to educate people who might not normally feel any passion toward sea life.

I dove with Tildens this weekend for fun and to teach. Vis was ok Saturday morning about 30 feet, probably down to 15 by the afternoon, and up to 30 again Sunday morning. There were sharks everywhere. I think I counted 15 Saturday monring on one dive. My students had a blast, and I was able to enjoy a couple of fun dives on my own to get some grouper for Thanksgiving diiner. We do "ocean turkey" too. :D

matts1w:
All, or all but one, of those dolphins were born at the resort. If they were released into the wild it would be killing them as they have no idea how to defend themselves and are completely dependent on humans. When they do sneak out of the pen it is a very serious situation as their safety is at risk big time. They are happy, making baby dolphins, and really are a great way to educate people who might not normally feel any passion toward sea life.

I dove with Tildens this weekend for fun and to teach. Vis was ok Saturday morning about 30 feet, probably down to 15 by the afternoon, and up to 30 again Sunday morning. There were sharks everywhere. I think I counted 15 Saturday monring on one dive. My students had a blast, and I was able to enjoy a couple of fun dives on my own to get some grouper for Thanksgiving diiner. We do "ocean turkey" too. :D

Good to know that about the dolphins. If I had had more time while there (less work), I would've sought out someone to ask those and other questions.

What kind of sharks were around and which location(s) did you dive?

Thanks for the post, btw.

Hey i lived in the keys (Islamorada) The thunderbolt is cool but my suggestion is just do some shallow reef dives. Hawks Cay is really nice they have dolphins there and such. If you get a chance dive looe key its about 30 miles south of Hawks Cay but worth the drive, it is a beautiful Spur and Groove reef with large relief and lots of reef sharks that are awesome and it is one of the few sites i've seen them repeadidly in the keys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom