DUI DEMO and Dog Days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This last weekend I participated in a DUI DEMO days at Pearl Lake in South Beloit, Illinois. I have never tried a dry suit before so I wanted to go up (3.5 hours drive time from home) and see what it was like.

First I have to say that Faith and the others from DUI really have this down to an art. You first check in, fill out the waiver and someone from DUI takes you and walks you through the various racks they have set up in order to help you pick out everything. The gentleman (we had Quincy) fully explained the differences in the undergarments, then the dry suits. We grab what all he thought would fit me best and continued on to a large area on a tarp with chairs so you can get everything on.

Greatfully this is under 2 large tents. I would not want to struggle into everything in the hot direct sunlight.

He then talked myself and the 2 friends who were with me through the process of putting everything on. To me it can be quite a complicated affair. I guess once you are used to it, it's no big deal. With the help of some pushing and soapy water I got it all on. I really enjoyed the freedom of movement in the dry suit. I first tried the TLS350 and the Polartec 300. After we got it all on we walked down to the water and waded in and put on our other equipment. They had us get that all ready and leave next to the shore so it was ready. Had to put on an extra 6 lbs, per their recomendations.

At this point vollenteers from local dive shops who were DUI dealers took 1-2 people out at a time after a very basic explaination of the suit and what to do. I was way heavy at first and finally got myself neutral. After this it was a blast. The squeeze was quite interesting and I put a small amount of air in the suit to help that. I managed my buoyency with my BC. We went around for 35 minutes, down to about 35 feet and the water temp was 59. I felt cool to cold but it was managable. A way different feeling than being in 59 degree water and wet.

After lunch, which they provided, I tried the CLS450 and the same under garments. I don't know if it was the size of suit or the suit itself, went from a L to a XL, but the 450 felt better on me. Another good dive, but I used up my air fast because of a small leak on my mask which I had to keep clearing.

I would recomend this to any diver who has not tried a dry suit. That you will end up getting one or even a DUI, but it is a good experience. I personally will start saving up to buy one. One of my friends hated it because of the squeeze. Another nice thing about it was there was no mention of buy this or would you like contacted etc. Just try the suit out and go.

Kudo's to DUI for doing this. I know they are in it for the sales, but the way they are going it is excellent!

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
This last weekend I participated in a DUI DEMO days at Pearl Lake in South Beloit, Illinois. I have never tried a dry suit before so I wanted to go up (3.5 hours drive time from home) and see what it was like.

First I have to say that Faith and the others from DUI really have this down to an art. You first check in, fill out the waiver and someone from DUI takes you and walks you through the various racks they have set up in order to help you pick out everything. The gentleman (we had Quincy) fully explained the differences in the undergarments, then the dry suits. We grab what all he thought would fit me best and continued on to a large area on a tarp with chairs so you can get everything on.

Greatfully this is under 2 large tents. I would not want to struggle into everything in the hot direct sunlight.

He then talked myself and the 2 friends who were with me through the process of putting everything on. To me it can be quite a complicated affair. I guess once you are used to it, it's no big deal. With the help of some pushing and soapy water I got it all on. I really enjoyed the freedom of movement in the dry suit. I first tried the TLS350 and the Polartec 300. After we got it all on we walked down to the water and waded in and put on our other equipment. They had us get that all ready and leave next to the shore so it was ready. Had to put on an extra 6 lbs, per their recomendations.

At this point vollenteers from local dive shops who were DUI dealers took 1-2 people out at a time after a very basic explaination of the suit and what to do. I was way heavy at first and finally got myself neutral. After this it was a blast. The squeeze was quite interesting and I put a small amount of air in the suit to help that. I managed my buoyency with my BC. We went around for 35 minutes, down to about 35 feet and the water temp was 59. I felt cool to cold but it was managable. A way different feeling than being in 59 degree water and wet.

After lunch, which they provided, I tried the CLS450 and the same under garments. I don't know if it was the size of suit or the suit itself, went from a L to a XL, but the 450 felt better on me. Another good dive, but I used up my air fast because of a small leak on my mask which I had to keep clearing.

I would recomend this to any diver who has not tried a dry suit. That you will end up getting one or even a DUI, but it is a good experience. I personally will start saving up to buy one. One of my friends hated it because of the squeeze. Another nice thing about it was there was no mention of buy this or would you like contacted etc. Just try the suit out and go.

Kudo's to DUI for doing this. I know they are in it for the sales, but the way they are going it is excellent!

Jeff

Me too. Went to my first one 3 years ago and had a kick it up time! Faith is funny, and really a sweetheart. Because ours is not far from DUI, the whole gang comes out - Quincy, Mark, Faith, the C/S folks, Susan, Kathy, Dick, etc, etc...

The 450 is cut closer than the other suits. According to a conversation I had with DUI the other day, when going from a 50/50 ot 350 to a 450, you can figure about 2" smaller in all areas. I think 2 full inches isn't completely true in ALL areas, but I can verify that a Med 450 fits me snugger than a Med 350.

Its a neat event. Now that we have our suits, I just go to say hi to my friends at DUI and take photos for them.

---
Ken

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply. While I would love to get a DUI, I might not be able to $$ wise. So which one so you have? The 450? At least I found out I fit ok in the stock sizes.

What do you use for undergarments there in CA? I might have busniess trip to Westlake Village/Agoura Hills area in July or August. I currently use a 5-4-3 full wet suit, but don't know what I would need for out there.

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply. While I would love to get a DUI, I might not be able to $$ wise. So which one so you have? The 450? At least I found out I fit ok in the stock sizes.

What do you use for undergarments there in CA? I might have busniess trip to Westlake Village/Agoura Hills area in July or August. I currently use a 5-4-3 full wet suit, but don't know what I would need for out there.

Jeff

I just purchase a medium 450 off of eBay (dived once) with new uncut zip seals (neck and wrists), un-opened manual, zip wax and talc, sticker, NEW DS bag, NEW rockboots, etc... for $750. :11:

I just sold my beloved 50/50, as it just doesn't fit anymore. The 450 is a bit stiffer, and not having the strechy legs is noticable, but wearing a suit that doesn't fit like a bag is very, very nice.

You gotta look - treasures await you on eBay. If you fit OTR, you gotta go shopping on eBay.

I dive the DUI 300 Polartec (which is really 150 X 2) year round, but I'm looking for something thinner for summer. Water here in the summer gets to the mid 60s and I get a little toasty in the 300.

My wife loved diving in the DS at the event. When we got them, it changed everything for her - extending her season, making her dives more comfortable, etc. Loves it.

---
Ken

I was wrong in my last post. I will be down in Costa Mesa probably the week of August 29th. Will try and stay an extra day, Friday, and dive. Looking up things for my experience looks like Laguna beach would be best for me.

If it all works out, I'll put a note out and see fi I can buddy up with someone at that time.

Will keep my eyes on Ebay.

Jef

Do they bring non-standard sizes of drysuits to these DOG day events? I would like to go to the next one being held in my area to compare different suit materials (neoprene vs crushed etc). But I know I don't fit the OTR sizes (too tall).

Hi Hex,

I really don't know, they had a bunch of suits there but I think the majority I looked through were marked with the standard size ratings.

Jeff

AtlanticDiver:
Sounds like fun, do you know if there is an age restriction i am 14

I was at the Wazee event, and the only thing I remember seeing was that minors must have a parent co-sign the liability waivers. We also had to give them a credit card or drivers license to ensure that we didn't run off with the suit. As long as your parents are covering you, you're fine.

Unless you're drysuit certified, you'll have to go out with an instructor (they've got instructors there).

Back
Top Bottom