DUI Demo Sucker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dry suit has had the biggest affect on my diving pleasure and comfort. I went four years switching out different wet suits (7mm, 5mm, or 3mm) depending on the water conditions. Now I just change underwear to suit the dive conditions and dive dry all year round unless water temps get above 75.

If you dive a lot, it is actually cost effective in the long run.

Come on Rachel. Do you really need us telling you to get a drysuit?

Please. :wink:

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
Rachel
How can you be comfortable an content if You are cold? How can You have fun if Your're cold? Get the suit!!! It will also open additional options to You, like ice diving, and it will extend your dive "season" to the entire calendar year. Have you ever experienced the light refraction of ice when diving under a frozen waterfall? Have You ever literally walked 'upside down' under the ice of a frozen lake? Cold water makes marine life very lethargic. You can actually pick up fish in your (gloved) hands and pet them when they are cold enough.

Cold is all relative though. I have seen postings on this board by divers of the DELMARVA Peninsula claiming they dive cold water. That's laughable, given our location in Northern New England. Even Southern New England (CT, RI & MA on Southside of Cape Cod) is warm water, compared to up here (MA Northside of Cape Cod, NH & ME). For certification dives here, students wear wet suits. (No dive shop I know of rents drysuits). Their entries for their outdives are a very memorable portion of their cert course. Those who intend to stay with the sport diving locally, all opt for drysuits ASAP. Drysuits are the future. At least two manufacturers that I know of (and there probably are many more) are now making tropical drysuits. That's right, intended for us liveaboard lovers who make 4-5 dives a day, day after day, for a week or more. Don't hesitate. Go for it! You'll be glad You did ! :D
I dive in the "DELMARVA" area and we see water in the upper-30s. How much colder is it up there that upper 30s is laughable? Just wondering...

O-ring once bubbled...
How much colder is it up there that upper 30s is laughable? Just wondering...

The coldest I've seen is 34 degrees on Cape Ann, MA. I believe ME gets into the high 20s in the winter time.

Upper 30s is never laughable...especially when it's May 31st, 38 degrees, only 30 feet deep, and wearing a wetsuit.

now I want one...I know I can't afford one...but now the want is worse than the need....damn you people...

Or I hate you, I haven't decided. Did you hear that? It's the sound of my credit card screaming.

So, does anyone have a drysuit they're looking to donate to a worthy cause? I will provide measurements upon request :wink:

Rachel

Biscuit7:

You may find that your stress level actually decreases after you start diving dry.

Stresss arises in several circumstances. Task loading is only one. Physical discomfort (being cold) or concerns about physical discomfort (concern about being cold) are significant stressors.

Diving dry may remove these stressors, thereby decreasing your overall stress level. This will become particularly apparent after you have become comfortable with the new suit.

Interest rates are really low...why not open a line of credit at prime plus 1 or something similar and buy the suit this way. I am NOT one to advocate living your life on credit but in certain circumstances it can make real financial sense. If you do it with the parameters that "I will pay this off in one year therefore I will need to make payments of X amount a month" and stick to it you should have the suit you need at a very small additional interest cost. If you do it right, you may be able to swing the suit and training at a lower price than MSRP and the interest portion will perhaps not even bring the cost up to MSRP as the total outlay.

Just don't do this on a credit card or the shops layaway or anything. Do it through a financial institution/bank.

Oh...one more little thing...check the post purchase warranty/customer service aspect before dropping the cash, the best suit in the world is useless if something goes wrong and you can't get it fixed.

Go for the suit. You'll get the hang of it - it might even be better to start diving dry as a newer diver as you aren't set in your wetsuit buoyancy ways and the drysuit will come easier.

And like someone else said, DUI isn't the ONLY brand out there. Shop around, find a good deal. You don't have to spend $2000 on a drysuit!

And jonnythan - hehe...yeah. I was gonna be a smart*** but ya beat me to it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom