DUI Demo Sucker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone remember the days when divers didn't even have a choice between wet or dry diving? We did the ice dives and just accepted the idea of being uncomforable. Then I purchased the Poisidon 7mm closed neoprene dry suit (one of the first DS's out there) I looked like a whale, and had the mobility/flexibility of the Pillsbury Doughboy and had to wear a ton of lead- talk about having to get used to something! However, I was warm!!! The decision is easy: If you are a northen diver, and can afford it, GET THE SUIT!

Barracuda2

Is that the drysuit that had a regular BCD power inflator on it, so you'd get a "power shower" every time you went to inflate? I've never actually seen one of them, but I've heard my instructor tell about them a few times...

Rachel,

Although DUI makes a great suit, they are very expensive. I would look at other manufacturers and evaluate the fit from them. You might find yourself saving a whole lot of room on your credit card.

Take a drysuit class in a pool with someone willing to spend some time with you. It takes some getting used to.

Like others before said, once you go dry you will NEVER use a wetsuit again (except for maybe the Carribean).

I don't have my heart set on a 450, although it was awfully cozy...

I'm not a stock size in a DUI suit anyway so it would be even more that the normal price, as it that's not enough as it is. I'm looking at some sizing charts now to see where I might land on whose lines. Unless DUI has a custom on their website made for someone shaped like me, I think I'm out of luck there.

I don't care what brand it is as long as the company is reputable and the suit fits and I'm not required to buy pink :D

R

Well...I'll drop down from lurkdom on this one. I've been diving dry for about 5 years now and I've had two suits.....a "disposable" drysuit from Oneill that lasted me about two years while saving the money for a quality suit. The Oneill got to be like a Ford....Fix Or Repair Daily with Aquaseal in hand. I saved my quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies....plus all my singles and a little bit of my tax return and purchased a special production DUI CLX450. Couldn't be happier! I too, get cold easily and it's just not fun anymore when you're cold.

While I was saving my money, I researched what was out there, talked to other owners of various makes and models and came to my decision for my purchase. You might consider, if funds are an issue, getting an inexpensive suit while continuing to save for a quality suit later on down the road after you have done your research.

I still have that Oneill....it's stuffed in a box in my garage and one of these days I'll give it to the GoodWill....whatta ya think they'll do with it??? :tease:

Lori

I bought a Bare Commercial Trilam on the 'net for $550.00 including undies. It needed a new valve and one seal, but I thought it turned out to be a great deal.

I dive it almost every week, and I've had it for about 3 years.

You need to be careful online, though.

Diver Lori once bubbled...

I still have that Oneill....it's stuffed in a box in my garage and one of these days I'll give it to the GoodWill....whatta ya think they'll do with it??? :tease:

Lori

Gotta be careful, some wino could pickel himself in it...

I'm rather pleased with my Andy's DS3. It was much more reasonable than a custom DUI, particularly since I fall right in the middle of Andy's XXL (or XXLT, I can't remember) size chart.

Yeah, I remember...

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
Does anyone remember the days when divers didn't even have a choice between wet or dry diving? We did the ice dives and just accepted the idea of being uncomforable. Then I purchased the Poisidon 7mm closed neoprene dry suit (one of the first DS's out there) I looked like a whale, and had the mobility/flexibility of the Pillsbury Doughboy and had to wear a ton of lead- talk about having to get used to something! However, I was warm!!! The decision is easy: If you are a northen diver, and can afford it, GET THE SUIT!

Barracuda2

I think that suit was called the 'Unisuit'. It has been restyled, or re-shaped, and may still be on the market under that name today. Some of the heftier guys needed as much as a 50 lb on a weightbelt to get down with that much neoprene and air. Had to add shoulder straps to prevent the belt from sliding right off. We would use the drysuit's neoprene, along with a power inflator, and the diver - with suit - was the bouyancy device. This was B4 the days of jacket BC's. Only horse collar vests, with CO2 firing cartridges, were available then. And they were primarily for surface safety. The power inflator would sometimes give You a blast of "C-O-L-D" sea water right on the chest, and there was nothing you could do about it, 'cept tough it out. We were tough guys weren't we? :confused: A little crazy perhaps too. But in those days diving was considered on the "fringe" by mainstream folk. To some, that was part of the appeal of the sport. Today, diving is mainstream, not as mainstream as golf perhaps, but have You ever been on the 19th hole and had to listen to the war stories golfers tell? In any bar in the world, we divers have it all over those golfers :wink:

Back
Top Bottom