DUI Demo Sucker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice: "Get the stinking drysuit as soon as the budget allows"

You dive in the same approximate area that I do. If you are going to be diving in this climate, a drysuit will definitely make your diving safer. Hypothermia is a major issue in slowing your thought processes and you don't even realize it. After diving dry, the only time that you will ever dive wet again will be the Caribbean. :)

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
The CO2 cartridges wouldn't work under water. They were intended for emergency use on the surface. Actually the fittings would rust, and unless you took care of your gear, the cartridges would mysteriously be empty.:eek:

Aha...now I understand what they are for.

I'm currently in the process of shopping for a drysuit and all the other applicable accessories as well. I selected the CLx450 and I'm a big guy - so that put me into the Signature Series. MSRP with a P-Valve installed is just under $2900. If I was to buy locally (i.e. that wonderful Chicago sales tax) I'd be looking at $3146.

I'm a computer geek - so I tend to do all my research online. My LDS is a 40-60 minute drive to the burbs - and quite frankly operates more like a club or hobby shop than a business with any concept of customer satisfaction.

I'll summerize the fruits of my labor.

One LDS listed MSRP to the letter. (No mention of free class)
Another LDS listed approx 5% off. (No mention of free class)
LDS with Internet Site 1, 18% off + extra for P-valve + shipping
LDS with Internet Site 2, 20% off + extra for P-valve + shipping
Dealer I ran into at Demo Days, 15% off w/ free P-valve, repair kit, & class (no sales tax, no shipping - their out of state and my brother would handle delivery)
LDS in Canada, 40% off + applicable tax (GST/PST I think)

My LDS charges $199 for the DrySuit Class.

(Maybe I'm wrong - I think there's a difference between an LDS with an internet presence vs. e-commernce sites like LP, Divers Supply, and DiscountDivers.com)

Fortunately - I attended a demo days and Faith from DUI was more than happy to take the measurements herself. I'm confident I'll get a perfect suit no matter which route I take.

Then there was the Undergarments. For us Special Production folks - talk about a fleecing! (pun intended) Luckily I stumbled onto the SoftWare thread.

Draw your own conclusions.

I REALLY like my Diving Concepts suit. I had to get the custom one since off the rack wasn't even close. I bought it as part of a package from the LDS. It didn't fit right the first time, so he sent it back along with emailing them pictures of me in it (to show what needed fixing). I have also been assured by the LDS owner that if anything ever goes wrong with the suit (other than normal normal wear/tear of course) it will be taken care of. Yeah, I'm sure I paid more, but by getting the package, I also didn't pay full retail. I also have the benefit of local service on all the stuff I bought. I have made some on-line purchases, but for the really important stuff, I'll stick with this particular shop.

I have seen some posting with concerns about cost of equipment and associated classes to use the dry suits. I do know that if you buy a DUI suit from the shop that I work for, your dry suit class is included as part of the service.

Diving wet has it place, for me only when the temps at depth are 75 and above...

Ok, people.....

What about this deal?

Whites Nexus

Seems like a bargain to me!

Rachel

scuba.crazed once bubbled...

Diving wet has it place, for me only when the temps at depth are 75 and above...

75 and above...I'm wearin my trunks

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
75 and above...I'm wearin my trunks

FWIW; I had a dive yesterday in 86 degree water. I was perfectly comfortable in my trilam DS.

I thought I was going to die with a drysuit in florida; but it was either the DS, or I don't dive until september.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Yeah...that is literally the only thing stopping me....I am thinking tax-refund = drysuit and training.....now all I have to do is convince the wife that I "need" yet another piece of dive gear and yet another class.

Re "wife":

Hint:
Powder blue Tiffany boxes with included treasures will go a long way.............towards your own 'treasures'.

Also:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness,
than to ask for and get permission.

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Ok, people.....

What about this deal?
This is just one man's opinion but I think that front entry is the only way to go (pun intended!). The first time you really have to pee in a rear entry dry suit and can't find anyone to unzip you right away, you'll understand. :)

That said, that is a pretty nice price right there...

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom