DUI Demo Sucker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omicron once bubbled...
Is that the drysuit that had a regular BCD power inflator on it, so you'd get a "power shower" every time you went to inflate? I've never actually seen one of them, but I've heard my instructor tell about them a few times...

That's it!! The inflator and exhaust buttons were located on the chest.

Barracuda -

Brrrrrrrrr :)

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
Yeah, I remember...

I think that suit was called the 'Unisuit'. It has been restyled, or re-shaped, and may still be on the market under that name today. Some of the heftier guys needed as much as a 50 lb on a weightbelt to get down with that much neoprene and air. Had to add shoulder straps to prevent the belt from sliding right off. We would use the drysuit's neoprene, along with a power inflator, and the diver - with suit - was the bouyancy device. This was B4 the days of jacket BC's. Only horse collar vests, with CO2 firing cartridges, were available then. And they were primarily for surface safety. The power inflator would sometimes give You a blast of "C-O-L-D" sea water right on the chest, and there was nothing you could do about it, 'cept tough it out. We were tough guys weren't we? :confused: A little crazy perhaps too. But in those days diving was considered on the "fringe" by mainstream folk. To some, that was part of the appeal of the sport. Today, diving is mainstream, not as mainstream as golf perhaps, but have You ever been on the 19th hole and had to listen to the war stories golfers tell? In any bar in the world, we divers have it all over those golfers :wink:

You got that right!! It's nice to hear from some of the "older, mature" guys.
When I was a teen, I even remember jumping into one of those gum rubber one piece suits that, once you were in it, (and it took a bottle of talcum powder to do it), you wadded up the opening and tied it off as tight as possible so it wouldn't leak; put on the duck fins, round mask. steel 70 with j-valve. We weighted ourselves according to how deep we were going because BC's were not yet thought of. if we were too heavy, we crawled around the bottom or came up and got rid of a few pounds; if we were too light, we picked up a rock and carried it around with us. All my friends thought I was nuts, ----and they were right. Ahh, those were the days-----and as far a diving, I'm glad they're gone.

Barracuda2

Barracuda2 once bubbled...

You got that right!! It's nice to hear from some of the "older, mature" guys.
When I was a teen, I even remember jumping into one of those gum rubber one piece suits that, once you were in it, (and it took a bottle of talcum powder to do it), you wadded up the opening and tied it off as tight as possible so it wouldn't leak; put on the duck fins, round mask. steel 70 with j-valve. We weighted ourselves according to how deep we were going because BC's were not yet thought of. if we were too heavy, we crawled around the bottom or came up and got rid of a few pounds; if we were too light, we picked up a rock and carried it around with us. All my friends thought I was nuts, ----and they were right. Ahh, those were the days-----and as far a diving, I'm glad they're gone.

Barracuda2

Think I was six or seven back then...lol

Yeah, I was a little too young to have experienced that one too =) I do remember my dad talking about stuff like that...I still have his BCD. Looks like vest that you zip up the front, and it's got the CO2 hookups on it. Doesn't that seem like a bad idea? Inflate your BCD to the max from depth when you are in trouble? Yikes :)

Anyway...now that we're totally off topic!

The CO2 cartridges wouldn't work under water. They were intended for emergency use on the surface. Actually the fittings would rust, and unless you took care of your gear, the cartridges would mysteriously be empty.:eek:

describe the Poseidon drysuit you are talking about? I have a neoprene drysuit that so far no one has been able to determine what brand it is. Some of what has been said here fits the description of my suit.

Biscuit7--I'm much more comfortable diving with the wetsuit even if it means wearing two for warmth. Of course I may be using one of those ancient Poseidon things they've been talking about. :)

Just to add my 2cents.. try looking into a Diving Concepts drysuit.
I have their Pinnacle 200 and Its great. I use the Thinsulate extreme for a undergarment here in the pacific. Great suit, good price, and Colin at DC was more than willing to sit on the phone with me and hash out the differences between thier suit and the DUI i was looking at. (CF 200). Another thing that impressed me was colin never badmouthed DUI. In fact, he said they make a great suit and I couldnt go wrong with either one. To me, customer service is almost worth as much as the quality and fit of the suit. DC won the customer service hands down. The guy I talked to at DUI seemed like he was in a hurry to get me off the phone. Like I said, just my 2 cents..

Geoff

jbd once bubbled...
describe the Poseidon drysuit you are talking about? I have a neoprene drysuit that so far no one has been able to determine what brand it is. Some of what has been said here fits the description of my suit.

One piece (hood and boots included) 1/4 inch closed neoprene
Zipper ran from center of back down up through crotch and finished at about the bellybutton.
BC inflator on right side of chest
Black push button exhaust on left side of chest
Blue and white emblem in the center (can't remember the design)
Very bulky and really trapped air - you didn't want to get caught head-down vertical in this suit with too much air - it would all rush to the feet and balloon - it was tough getting the feet back down.

Barracuda2

biscuit7 once bubbled...
My only hesitation, apart from the money thing, but I'm quickly coming around on just having to suck that one up is that I'm still a new diver and I'm not as instinctive about my diving in "normal" gear as lots of more experienced divers and by adding the stuff with the drysuit I worry I'm overextending myself.
I have only made 5 cold water dives in a wet suit... my 5 OW certification dives. My 6th cold water dive was in a dry suit. Yeah, the first couple of dives with the dry suit were learning experiences but after that it's been all good. There is no way I would dive around here in a wet suit. If that makes me a wuss, so be it. :)

As far as what suit to buy all I'll say is aim for quality and fit, not lowest cost. Penny wise, pound foolish and all that.

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom