Dumb regulator question for technical training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
The main reason I've been given is so you can't roll it off.

R..

I have had it configured both ways at various times, and never suffered roll off ever, and ALL my tec dives are in overheads. Flame me if you like, but I think roll off is an over exagerated problem and anyway, if it becomes a possibility, you should be wearing sidemount.

skeet:
What is this "roll off" you speak of.

Closing left post valve by hitting it on deckhead on wrecks or cave ceiling.

DA Aquamaster:
Some will argue that an electronic spg is a bad idea but I have not had any instance where it has failed in the water in over 250 dives with it. In the event that an spg of any type fails, if you are referring to it enough and have done a proper job of planning, you are still going to be able to accurately estimate what you have left for air and will be able to end the dive accordingly with a normal and safe ascent.

Dude: "accurately estimate what you have left for air ".

Contridiction in terms.

With ANY life-dependent equipment failure one aborts the dive immediately and surfaces quickly/safely.

BigboyDan:
Dude: "accurately estimate what you have left for air ".

Contridiction in terms.

With ANY life-dependent equipment failure one aborts the dive imediately and surfaces quickly/safely.

Down Bigboy!

Where in DA's post did you find him suggesting continuing the dive after SPG failure?

Is surfacing quickly always safe?

I believe his point was that if you have been referring to your SPG regularly, and know your consumption, and have a proper plan, that SPG failure does not demand an emergency/ immediate ascent.

In fact the above should permit a safe ascent, whatever that may entail.

Regards,

Tobin

Down Cool,

I never used the word "emergency" or implied such; I agree with his post, and reinforced his words with my own, except for his comment that one can "accurately estimate" what air is left - inherent margin of error there.

BigboyDan:
Down Cool,

I never used the word "emergency" or implied such; I agree with his post, and reinforced his words with my own, except for his comment that one can "accurately estimate" what air is left - inherent margin of error there.

Accurate estimate just means that your standard deviation of your estimate is small. He didn't say "exact estimate"
He did say to end the dive accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom