Dumb Things I've Done

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-tore a neck seal offshore only to realize my spare seal was in my truck at the dock.

-turned on can light to test it, subsequently realizing I left the battery pack in the charger in my garage.

-drive my boat to the dive site only to realize my dive gear isn't on the boat.

-the list goes on and on.....as it does for anyone that dives as much as some of us do.

Dropped a brand new mask in a murky sinkhole :( feels bad

mask was found over a year later and returned. Feels good :)

Care to tell us the rest of the story?
Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t have anything else amusing to add. We were just casting off, and I moved to get out of the way of someone trying to stow his gear under a bench at the stern. The ladder naturally ended up in the operating position and I re-boarded amidst laughter.

On a dive boat off Turks and Cacaos, whale shark approached boat, I grabbed mask and camera and hopped in with a fair number of others. Dummy didn't consider current and didn't put on fins. What a dumb s#$% move!

I learnt in a dry sit in Scotland. Went on a day boat when on holiday in Thailand - freaked out because I got wet!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I was coming up from a night dive and handing my fins to the DM, my fins can get a little tight with my drysuit booties... I got the first one off but the second I threw frisbee style about 30 feet to port when it came off. Only 3 of us went on the night dive out of 18 on the boat. Everyone was laughing.

We were anchored in 30 feet of sand, I knew starbord had been this canyon that we were in but we all thought port was just sand. My stepdad gave me one of his jet fins and I put it on to go look for my fin. Well when I stood up I kicked the gate overboard. The gate was made out of aluminum slotted into the side of the boat... Kinda important. Now everyone was dying laughing as I got my lift bag out of my bag and threw it in my pocket.

Good news is I found the gate as soon as I went in the water, 30 feet and in the sand. As I was descending I thought it was hollow on the sides where it fit in with the side of the boat and I could just run the line though it a couple times and send it up.

Bad news, that SOB was solid. I wound up Christmas present wrapping it about 10 times before sending it up. I then looked to my left and saw that there was a kelp forest there. So much for finding my fin, I looked for 5 minutes and found nothing, ascended with no fin.

I was wondering how the rest of the trip was going to go, my buddy let me know he just happened to bring an extra set of fins with him.

Another time I was on a wall dive and it was live pickup. I shot my SMB when we began our ascent, the boat saw us and I was tired of holding my SMB so I clipped it to my scooter d-ring to hold it vertical. We were the last group picked up and when I went to unclip the SMB, I just did it without looking. I wound up unclipping the part attached to the spool. Leaving the SMB attached to me and the spool was spinning itself to 100ft below. I pulled it up by the string and got back on board with the biggest birdsnest ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to take our C-Cards to Cozumel... good thing the internet exists. :)

After spending the morning in the cenotes, we had lunch and headed to Playa to visit the Bull Sharks.
70 min dive, surrounded by Bull Sharks, and I had forgotten to change the battery in the camera....

After Kims very first night dive (off Cancun) she was passing gear up to the boat and dropped her light. Naturally, she'd turned it off once we got to the surface... :(
The amazing thing is that despite it being turned off, Alvaro was able to drop down, find it, and be back on the surface before Kim, Sue and I could get back on the boat.

Done a backroll without fins

The rest are more camera related

Camera battery has died mid dive as it was not fully charged
Forgotten to replace the CF card in the camera after downloading files to the computer
Forgotten to reconnect the internal strobe connection after taking the camera out of the housing
Forgotten to switch the camera to autofocus after changing over to a wide angle lens and port

Forgot my fins (1hr trip to dive site) and had to dive without fins in a drysuit.
(sheltered water)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom