Dump valve on the forearm... Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that it can be easier to get into and out of your rig as well. Don't own a suit with a forearm valve but have used one a few times. While I did not notice any difference in terms of dumping air, I *did* notice that it was much easier getting in and out of my Halcyon Hog setup.

I used to have mine on the forearm because I was convinced that it was a better location for some reason. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, it didn't cause any serious problems, per se, but a shoulder dump (not a bicep or tricep dump) on the upper outer arm is really the best place for it and vents much quicker because the gas does not have to migrate all the way to the end of your arm. I agree, logically it made sense, but in practice it's just not optimal.

Plus, it's a bit of a PITA in a tight overhead because you have to raise your whole arm rather than just rolling a little to the right.

I know people will vehemently disagree, but I've tried it both ways, and not just for a dive or two. I had the forearm dump for 4 years before moving it to my shoulder last season.

I also found it a pain that I needed to keep my compass on my glove rather than my forearm because the valve was in the way. That was a combination of using dry gloves with the valve on the forearm.

Can anyone recommend a cool patch that I can use to cover the surgery site? :D

Soggy:
Can anyone recommend a cool patch that I can use to cover the surgery site? :D

Padi divemaster :14:

:D

Depends on dives you're planning on. Notice you're from Brooklyn. If you're planning on lobstering, hunting, or digging off the wrecks, the shoulder valve is out of the way, although you need to use a little care getting into your rig..

IrishAngel:
Depends on dives you're planning on. Notice you're from Brooklyn. If you're planning on lobstering, hunting, or digging off the wrecks, the shoulder valve is out of the way, although you need to use a little care getting into your rig..
Yeah very nice point! thanks

Cuff dumps are simple to use, arm up air out- easy. The problem is when you start doing other stuff underwater, photography, wreck penetration etc. Its not always convenient to have air dumped from your suit every time you raise your arm to take a photo or squeeze through a gap in a wreck.

A dump on your upper arm once set correctly take little user input allowing you to keep both hands free, they do take a bit more care to set you and use correctly but like anything a few gental dives to get things sorted and your on your way.

Go for a low profile auto dump, no more snagging on your gear as you kit up.

But at the end of the day, despite everything you read here, buy the kit that allows you to do the diving YOU want to do.

HTH

Darren

My suit is in the shop right now, and I'm having the dump valve moved from the wrist to the shoulder. The wrist was OK, but it gets in the way of the stopwatch and or compass I sometimes wear on my left wrist. I had the shoulder dump for 10 years, the wrist for 3-4, and now it is back to the shoulder. YMMV.

rjack321:
Padi divemaster :14:

:D
I'll see your divemaster and raise you a PADI Master Diver :D

I've got both Shoulder and Wrist Dump --easier for me to perform Toxing Diver Rescue with the Wrist Dump. . .

Back
Top Bottom