Dump valve on the forearm... Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Because you've gotta remove the corrugated hose from the bungie cord retainer and lift it up to dump air from the Wing --and guess what? My wrist dump also happens to be on that hand controlling the victims dump valve...

Makes sense for me Sogs, and it works for me. . .

If you are a technical diver, I would caution you to definitely check the exact position of a forearm dump and be sure you can do your left post valve shutdowns safely. I recently received a new suit with a forearm dump only to discover that when I reach to shutdown my left post my bent arm pushes the dump valve releasing all my air, a potentially deadly situation at 200 feet. Forearm dumps are great for recreational diving, but I won't have one on a suit I'm using for tech.

jacksatlanta:
If you are a technical diver, I would caution you to definitely check the exact position of a forearm dump and be sure you can do your left post valve shutdowns safely. I recently received a new suit with a forearm dump only to discover that when I reach to shutdown my left post my bent arm pushes the dump valve releasing all my air, a potentially deadly situation at 200 feet. Forearm dumps are great for recreational diving, but I won't have one on a suit I'm using for tech.

Why is releasing some gas from your suit a potentially deadly situation?

This indicates that you are in a decidedly heads up position, that you have too much gas in your suit, and that you don't normally dive with your dump valve all the way open.

I changed from a forearm dump to a shoulder dump for many reasons, but I don't see any in your post.

Kevrumbo:
...Because you've gotta remove the corrugated hose from the bungie cord retainer and lift it up to dump air from the Wing -

I admit that I dont find I have to do this with my wings -- I have corrugated hose and LP hose through the bungee. Just yank it up and it seems to work out OK.

Mine is mid forearm. I wear a slate to the inside of my arm with the bungies going either side of the valve. My compass is below the slate and does not interfere with my glove. I've dived with both and much prefer the valve on my forearm.

On the USIA Techniflex, the stock position is on the forearm, but we can install it on the bicep at no additional charge. The only time we charge is if we have to retrofit the suit. Personally, I've always dove with it on the shoulder and I prefer it there. But 80 % of the Techniflex's have them ordered on the forearm. PM me if you need additional info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom