Dutch Spring, PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike M

Contributor
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience at Dutch Springs, PA?
I have checked out the web site already, and checked out a few articles about this site. I am planning on going June 2002 for a week and was wondering what people thought.

Is there enough to stay busy for the week?
What are the conditions like?
How is the customer service?
What ever advice anyone could give.

Also hear of a river that is in the general area, where there is a train that derailed and landed in the river many years ago. Any information on this?

Halo Mike!

Yes, I am very very familure with Dutch Springs, PA. (Its the only place I've been diving so far! hehehe)

The quarry is more of a training environment than a recreational one so I doubt you will be able to stay entertained for a full week. As the website (http://www.dutchsprings.com) points out, they have sunk a number of interesting items into the water to explore. My favorite is the Sikorsky H-37 Helicopter.

I found the water to be exceptionaly clear. Out of 8 dives over 2 weekends the visability never dropped below 30-40 feet (which I'm lead to understand is unheard of for quarry diving).

The fish there are very complacent to human observers and are not easily spooked.

Things that were frustrating for me about the place was the lack of facilities. There is only a gift store and an air refill shed. The only food is a snack truck with substandard refreshments. If you need a dive shop for rentals or emergency supplies the closest one is "The Scuba Tank" located 3 miles west of the dive site but despite its advertised hours I ahve never seen it actually open. -My dive group broke a regulator and had to drive to the next closest shop in New Jersey with a travel turn around time of almsot 2 hours.

I have not heard of the River / train you mentioned so I can't give you any info there.

If you are really looking to spend a week down in my area diving you might prefer to check out http://www.njscuba.com/njscuba/njs_shipwrecks.html for some alternatives.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any more info or jsut want to chat about Dutch Springs more.

I went down there this past summer during Oceanic day. I found the vis to be about 10 ft. Temp was cold even for my drysuit. Which wouldnt of bothered me if I thought the diving was worth it. Save your $20 admission. Then again if your new to diving I'm sure it could be alot of fun. It would be worth it to rent a scooter to take with you because the u\w sights are spread pretty far apart. As for fish, I found the Sunfish to be more like Pirana because one tried to take my finger off when I pointed at it.

Hi Mike,

I have been diving at Dutch for the past two years and our dive group really loves going there between vacations. We enjoy doing the "wall" dive there the most. The vis all summer for us was between 20 and 40'. We have pretty much done all the attractions and although we especially like the helicopter, the island and the tanker, again, our favorite dives are just the shallow wall dives - so lengthy and relaxing. We bring our own food and beverages in (wink, wink) and enjoy then on the picnic tables after our dives.

Here is a website regarding that train dive you mentioned - hope it helps - http://scubadiving.com/US/delaware.shtml

PS) I would think you could spend a few days at Dutch, but a week might be pushing it a bit - but to each his own!

Happy diving!

This is just what I was looking for. This way when/if I go I'll know what to expect.

Thanks
Mike M

I Do belive the derailed train is in the Delaware river Your best bet is to go to njscuba.net and look up divesites and that i belive is in the Delaware water gap. That is a great website for NJ diving If you are traveling down here you really should do a wreck dive off the Jersey shoreCharters run about $80 for the day and it is a lot better than Dutch springs. Dutch springs is a great place my favorite area there is the pump house it is a nice area there
good luck
NJWD

j
Mike M:
Was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience at Dutch Springs, PA?
I have checked out the web site already, and checked out a few articles about this site. I am planning on going June 2002 for a week and was wondering what people thought.

Is there enough to stay busy for the week?
What are the conditions like?
How is the customer service?
What ever advice anyone could give.

Also hear of a river that is in the general area, where there is a train that derailed and landed in the river many years ago. Any information on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom