DW-"Mistral" - 1 Stage Regulator : Just looking to mooch some help :P

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
U.S. Divers Co.
Aqua-Lung DW-"MISTRAL"
1 Stage Regulator
Cousteau-Gagnan Process
US Patent No. 2-485-039
Other patents pending

This was given to me. I'm wanting to figure out if it works, how it works or how to make it work.
Any pointers on where to look for a guide or repair manual or something educational would be totally awesome. I'm still working my way through the posts.
Mistral.jpgMistral1.jpgMistral2.jpgMistral3.jpg

It's supposed to be original but I wouldn't know. I haven't tried to open it yet either. I'm afraid the whole thing will spring open and I'll never get it back together again.

Welcome to the fun side of SCUBA! I'm in the process of rebuilding my first doublehose, although mine is a 2-Stage Aquamaster...you'll actually find your Mistral to be somewhat easier.

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/Link.aspx
Click "US Divers manuals, testing, parts drawings, all years covered"
Click "Aqua-Lung repair manual"

The instructions for the Mistral start on page 4.

Shop Online
VDH's store will be your friend for a while. Pretty much everything rubber will have to be replaced, and there may be some metallic items that will have to be replaced as well. Luckily though, VDH has you covered! Some of their parts are actually upgrades that will outperform and outlast the original parts. Good luck getting nozzle out of the body...that was by far the worst part of my double-hose excursion so far. You will need some way to clamp it and prevent it from rotating, as it will take a significant amount of torque to break free. Although I do not have experience with the Mistral yet, so it may be easier?

These DH regulators are VERY simple internally...the Mistral 1-stage, even moreso.

One upgrade I would do is ditching the box clips that you see clamping the cans together and switching to a compression ring. It makes servicing the regulator a lot easier, as the compression ring is easier to torque down consistently.

" everything rubber will have to be replaced, and there may be some metallic items that will have to be replaced as well. Luckily though, VDH has you covered! Some of their parts are actually upgrades that will outperform and outlast the original parts. Good luck getting nozzle out of the body...that was by far the worst part of my double-hose excursion so far. You will need some way to clamp it and prevent it from rotating, as it will take a significant amount of torque to break free. "

Oh my God! I'm beginning to see a trend here hahahahahahha! I was feeling a little guilty when all the old people keep handing me stuff because I make my bread and butter babysitting my dad who is disabled. Getting cash out of my mom is like...Forget it. Now I know why they don't even blink when I try to tell them I think these things might be valuable and "are you sure?" and they just say, sure. Go for it! hahahaha! At least the 15 lb dive knife won't need to be sharpened! OMG I am going to laugh till I pass out or pee!

I like the repair manual very much. I didn't even know what was in there. Thanks :)

---------- Post added ----------

Its a simple, easy reg to fix. There is only one o-ring in it, and its not even that critical.

Thank you for not scaring me Doc :D I realllllllly appreciate it!

Just in case the video was a bit too abstract, here's the inside of my Mistral:

P1010781.jpg

With the diaphragm in place, and on the other side, the duckbill:

P1010777.jpg

These photos were taken last year when I first received it prior to rebuilding it. It was a 50 year old reg with no evident signs of being serviced before. I slapped it onto a tank and lo and behold, the thing still worked! Still, as KD8NPB pointed out, it would still be best to replace the old rubber parts with the newer silicone parts just to make it function better. +1 on the band clamp, and maybe a long yoke as well if you want to use an SPG with it.

I see more DH regs in your future... :D

On a side note, this is also the perfect time to add some yellow hoses like the rest of us cool kids. :cool2:

Looks like Doc and KD8NPB (KA4HAM here. :) ) have got it covered. Nice vid Ed.

For your first DH reg, you might want to consider having Bryan at VDH do the service. These regs require a totally different method of diving which you will need to learn so starting off with a reg that you know has been serviced properly will help. No agency teaches old school diving so you will need to find a mentor to help. You can learn it on your own but it's not nearly as easy. There are no SPGs, octos, lp inflators or purge buttons. You will need to learn to use J valves, to clear a DH (DH=double hose) mouthpiece and to buddy breath (not just share air with an octo). Modern BCs do not work well with DH regs so plan on finding a proper BP to go with the reg, unlike modern regs, reg placement on the body is very important when diving DH gear. As a first step in learning to dive DH regs, I would suggest some "experience" training with your current gear. Get yourself properly weighted.....close does not count in vintage diving, esp for a vintage beginner.. and start diving without using your BC. Dump ALL of the air out of the BC and do not inflate it during the dive to simulate no BC diving using proper weighting and breath control instead of adding removing air to your BC.

Diving the old gear is a lot of fun but it does take some different training and equipment. There is a lot of experience both here and on VDH to help you along.

Herman!

You guys are back! Been quiet all around with all you guys off at Sand Dog! :D

Sly New Girl, if you get more into diving DHs, there are a lot of yearly vintage get-togethers, and Sand Dog is one of them. I for one am unfortunate enough to be stuck on the other side of the globe for that, so that generally precludes me from attending these shindigs.

Nah, most of us are still here just on SB during the evening SI. Dove with Bryan, Rob and a host of others today. Nice to see a bunch of old DH reg diving in the same place. Headed back home early in the morning. We had 2 new folks join us at SD who will likely be showing up on VDH soon.

if you get more into diving DHs, there are a lot of yearly vintage get-togethers ...

I'm working on how to stealth my Scubapro 1st and 2nd stage inside those sea monster double hoses. :)

And as for getting yellow hoses! I'm sorry but ...ewwww! I like the white grey ones though. I'm guessing if I'm going to put new parts on it I can pick the ones I like that fit. It would be kind of cool to have it painted white or chromed to go with ghost hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom