Dysentery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If people keep self medicating these other drugs are going to become resistant too.

Antibiotics HAVE to be taken in appropriate courses, usually well beyond when you feel better; and with the side effects of things like levo, people who prescribe them to themselves are likely to stop early.

Leave last resort antibiotics like levofloxacin to the people who TRULY need a last resort drug. Or we won't have any more antibiotics left for severe cases.

Thanks for your concern, but my lovely wife is a very good Internal Medicine PA. One of the keys to preventing drug resistant bugs it to follow a complete course of medication, and not stop when you're feeling better.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people keep self medicating these other drugs are going to become resistant too.

Antibiotics HAVE to be taken in appropriate courses, usually well beyond when you feel better; and with the side effects of things like levo, people who prescribe them to themselves are likely to stop early.

Leave last resort antibiotics like levofloxacin to the people who TRULY need a last resort drug. Or we won't have any more antibiotics left for severe cases.
Skittl1321. I don't think anyone, except a few posters that mentioned some locally available medications in Mexico, which I warned against, is recommending self medication, beyond the fact that taking PeptoBismol is a form of self medication.

What I said and I think JohnN was following up on, was to have this discussion with your primary care provider before the trip. Like JohnN, I would prefer treatment recommendations from a provider that knows you, your history and circumstances.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

I did call the local health department today about measles vaccinations for us old coots. The lady who answered the phone tried to answer questions but it soon became apparent that she really wasn't qualified. I asked tougher questions and got passed to someone of some professional qualifications. He couldn't really give me a good answer tho. I don't remember ever having the week long measles, just the 3 day type - which is a different bug (something the first lady didn't know, which is how I got to someone better), and my mom is not around to ask. I think I was out of school before the vaccine became available. Some of the people who caught measles at Disneyland recently are older than me. Either way, they're not sure if immunities last a lifetime. He said I didn't need to worry unless I left the US, and I explained that I do. :idk:

There is a Dallas church that used to preach against vaccines until a group of them went to the Philippines and came back with measles. They changed their faith.
DandyDon. If you think giving medical recommendations on the Internet is iffy, phone advice with can be worse. If you are that worried, make an appointment with your PCP and discuss it with her. Then together you can decide if a booster is warranted or draw a titer to check your immune status.

Last edited:
Could you have your doctor do an antibody titer? That would tell you if you already have the immunity.
DandyDon. If you think giving medical recommendations on the Internet is iffy, phone advice with can be worse. If you are that worried, make an appointment with your PCP and discuss it with her. Then together you can decide if a booster is warranted or draw a titer to check your immune status.
I hadn't thought of that. I don't know anything about it, but it sounds worth checking out. Unless a booster shot before I go to Mexico would be simpler? I do a couple of pushups then & there when I get a shot and never have had a problem from any.

Edit: I am thinking the test would cost as much as the shot if not more, and if the results were negative I'd still need the shot. Why not just get the shot...??

Or am I concerned about nothing? I've been to Coz too many times to remember and never got sick (no measles, gastro-illness, etc), and didn't from my adventures on the peninsula. World Health Organization claims that Mexico has a Measles immunization coverage of over 80% (World Bank says 89% in toddlers, down from 99% tho), so it doesn't seem like a real threat.

Sounds like I should be more worried about my California visits, but I have no plans for there. 27 Counties In California Have Dangerously Low Kindergarten Measles Vaccination Rates

Last edited:
My poor husband has no choice but put up with me on this matter. You should have seen my face the time he ordered "eggs over easy" for breakfast in Mexico. I kicked him under the table and whispered "get them scrambled, are you trying to get Salmonella?!" I know that there are no guarantees and you can sometimes get sick from food and water right here at home; but it just makes sense to be careful when traveling to new places with higher infection risks

Kathy, what are the scientifically documented risks for salmonella infection via fried eggs in Cozumel vs , say, Chicago?

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 09:39 PM ----------

I'm asking because you described yourself as a clinical microbiologist. Presumably you base your concerns about eggs on clinical microbiology, specifically not what could happen but what actually fores happen.

I am not a physician but I am a clinical microbiologist by background

...//...

Edit: I am thinking the test would cost as much as the shot if not more, and if the results were negative I'd still need the shot. Why not just get the shot...??

Or am I concerned about nothing? I've been to Coz too many times to remember and never got sick (no measles, gastro-illness, etc), and didn't from my adventures on the peninsula. World Health Organization claims that Mexico has a Measles immunization coverage of over 80% (World Bank says 89% in toddlers, down from 99% tho), so it doesn't seem like a real threat.

Sounds like I should be more worried about my California visits, but I have no plans for there. 27 Counties In California Have Dangerously Low Kindergarten Measles Vaccination Rates
DandyDon, you are exactly right. For our college physicals with uncertain records, we usually just recommend a booster shot. But some people elect the titers (usually its varicella) and pay for it out of pocket.

Our local Health Department recommends just getting the booster if your history is unknown or questionable and the booster shot is free for individuals without insurance. But these are general guidelines only, nothing specific to the current out break.

And looks like Texas may be in the hot zone as well as California.

I am curious, got to ask - did you have a medical test, or just play a hunch? So many of these things are self limiting as the doctor said above, and you get over them whether you take medicine or not.

How long does a head cold last usually...?

If you see a doctor, maybe 6 days.

If you don't, then it's a week.

Ok, so here is the deal. I think I got them in July. I developed an issue of excreting often and of a quality that could not be considered terribly solid. Not a acute issue, but rather a chronic on-going issue. I went back in September and my MX friends said you got amoebas. Apparently if you spend enough time on the island you either will have, have had or currently have them. And one of THOSE people saw a doctor, so I saw one indirectly. I hit the pharmacy and grabbed two doses. I was afraid what might happen in the posterior, so I waited until I arrived home and took one dose. Like a week or two later the other dose and boom, the deposits firmed up and all is well.

I did call the local health department today about measles vaccinations for us old coots. The lady who answered the phone tried to answer questions but it soon became apparent that she really wasn't qualified. I asked tougher questions and got passed to someone of some professional qualifications. He couldn't really give me a good answer tho. I don't remember ever having the week long measles, just the 3 day type - which is a different bug (something the first lady didn't know, which is how I got to someone better), and my mom is not around to ask. I think I was out of school before the vaccine became available. Some of the people who caught measles at Disneyland recently are older than me. Either way, they're not sure if immunities last a lifetime. He said I didn't need to worry unless I left the US, and I explained that I do. :idk:

There is a Dallas church that used to preach against vaccines until a group of them went to the Philippines and came back with measles. They changed their faith.

I ain't even gonna start on the vaccine deniers. I got some in the family and they don't even say word that begin with V around me for fear I will bombard their silly ideas with facts. They hate facts and evidence.

Fourth trip to CZM

I tried sucking on lime slices and that has not helped. Any advice besides Immodium?

This SUCKS!

Head to different 'spot' next time??.......Never have had problems @ Brac or LC....????---
:)

Kathy, what are the scientifically documented risks for salmonella infection via fried eggs in Cozumel vs , say, Chicago?

I'm asking because you described yourself as a clinical microbiologist. Presumably you base your concerns about eggs on clinical microbiology, specifically not what could happen but what actually fores happen.
A fried egg will usually end up with the white cooked but the yolk runny. Since it's the shell that gets contaminated by the bacteria by exposure to infected feces, it's the white that's usually infected as the egg is cracked.

Chickens in the U.S. spread salmonella infections rampantly because of the way they are kept - in very close quarters. That may or may not be the case in Mexico.

I have contracted salmonellosis in Mexico and it was no fun, but the vector was likely the food preparer, not the food itself, as it was most likely contracted during a late-night taco binge in Tijuana during my college years in San Diego and the taco vendors don't have the best access to hand-washing facilities. It's possible that the odds of a Cozumel chef or server being infected with salmonella are higher than that of an American chef or server as our country's health codes are stricter, but in that case it doesn't really matter how the eggs are cooked if they're contaminated after they're cooked.

I think Moss was addressing this one...
I am not a physician but I am a clinical microbiologist by background so I believe in germs! When we travel we do our best to follow the CDC guidelines and have also consulted travel medicine doctors for immunizations and anti-malarial medication before heading to places like Honduras and Belize.

My poor husband has no choice but put up with me on this matter. You should have seen my face the time he ordered "eggs over easy" for breakfast in Mexico. I kicked him under the table and whispered "get them scrambled, are you trying to get Salmonella?!
Over easy sounds safe to me, like Moss said - as long as the whites are cooked to white. Sunny side up might be risky, but then scrambled eggs can contain undercooked whites, easily.

I like mine over easy as I like a runny yoke. I am about to go play soccer mom for the grandkids for a few days while their parents take off for a long weekend. The middle one is an exchange student from China but she can handle her own breakfast needs the morning I have to get the youngest to a gym meet early, 40 miles away. I asked her mom if scrambled eggs would be okay with her as those are easier than eggs to order or else. I was advised that she likes whites only, and there is a carton in the fridge. Yuck, who wants whites only, and they come packaged?! I miss my mom's cooking from our poor dirt farmer days when she had to make it all from scratch. It was all terrific, except her attempt at ketchup.

We'll eat out a lot this weekend. :wink: I'm glad that schools require Hep-A vaccinations as you need those for eating anywhere in the US or elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom