EAN32 fill require O2 clean tank or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your tank is Enriched Air certified with the proper stickers, decal, certification of service is up to date. Nothing else needs to be done. If you filled it previously and not have used the Enriched air for over a month than an empty and refresh needs to be done to clear the unused air. And fill it with new air. Apart from that nothing else.

So long as your tank' markings are up to date too.

Nitrox doesn't go bad unless the tank is rusting, in which case I would most certainly not refill it.

You should analyze your mix immediately before you dive it. If the measured mix is significantly lower than expected, ditch it and vis the tank.

I only intend to use ean32, no more at thus moment. Where to buy "nitrox" VIP sticker?

If you get an O2 clean sticker, it means it is good for 100% O2. A brand new tank should qualify for such a sticker. When I have bought brand new tanks, they have come with a green sticker on them saying that is true.

You have to have an annual visual inspection, and if in that inspection the inspector believes your tank continues to qualify, a new green VIP sticker will be placed on it.

As for going online and doing it yourself, yes it can be done, but it is really not legal. The sticker should only be done by someone with the proper certification to place that sticker on the tank. Let's say you got a sticker and slapped it on a tank that should not have passed inspection. You go to get it filled and the tank explodes because of a problem that would have been caught in the inspection. The person filling the tank is killed. How do you think you would do in the lawsuit that follows when it is determined that you placed a a VIP sticker on the tank without being certified to do so and without having given the tank the required inspection?

If you get an O2 clean sticker, it means it is good for 100% O2. A brand new tank should qualify for such a sticker. When I have bought brand new tanks, they have come with a green sticker on them saying that is true.

I believe (at least on XS Scuba tanks) it is just for up to 40% O2.

As for going online and doing it yourself, yes it can be done, but it is really not legal.

Can you point us to the law about this?

Funny though, shops that do PP blending seem to swear by one of the more restrictive standards.

nothing funny about it. PP equals 100% oxygen in the tank at one given point.

I believe (at least on XS Scuba tanks) it is just for up to 40% O2.

Can you point us to the law about this?

Try the Code of Federal Regulations. Better yet, take a PSI class. You will learn people have gone to jail over some of these things. You must be cerified to put the sticker on and have update at least every 3 years.

Try the Code of Federal Regulations. Better yet, take a PSI class. You will learn people have gone to jail over some of these things. You must be cerified to put the sticker on and have update at least every 3 years.

Again, can you point us to the specific law?

There is no law regarding visual inspections ... the only regulation around scuba cylinder maintenance is the hydro, which is a DOT regulation and is required every FIVE years.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is no law regarding visual inspections ... the only regulation around scuba cylinder maintenance is the hydro, which is a DOT regulation and is required every FIVE years.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is what I was trying to point out. Hence asking those who claim there is a law to be specific and give us which one and what it says. Interestingly they either don't answer or are vague in their answers. If there was such a law it shouldn't be that hard to point it out.

I think this is another locally ...ism. When I bought my Faber 2 X 117 HP, the new tanks were already O cleaned t start with. As long as I ensure that the facilities that I use only provide super clean (forget the term here), then my tanks will remain O clean whether I use air, 32, 40 or higher. The problem is that not all cylinders filling station provide that quality of air thus the risk to contaminate them at some point in time. If the tanks are not O clean, then you are limited to air or banked EAN up to 40% as long as you still have proper marking including Premix only. I would think that if somebody is using continuous blending, he would probably be offering bank mix as well. If he does not then perhaps he may elect not to do it directly in the tank especially if a malfunction could result in a concentration of O2 greater then 40 going directly into such tank.

Back
Top Bottom