Ear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you also from a newbie! I have a long history w/ ear problems but determined to be certified soon w/ my husband and teenage son (they are both lucky "hold and blow" types"). I was pretty depressed the other morning and luckily found this site and was encouraged to keep at it. When we first started the certification process back in Dec., I tried to get the hold-and-blow to work and ended up w/ "ticked off ears" and on steroids. Figured it was just congestion and tried again 2 wks ago, certain that I just wasn't doing something right...and you guessed it, back on steroids...altho it wasn't as bad as the Dec. incident. I decided that I am just not capable of hold-and-blow. Dr. told me to get on my nasal steroid religiously and to do Afrin before diving. From this board, I've also cut the dairy since I know I am allergic (and not just lactose-intolerant).

My question tho, I am currently on Flonase as my nasal steroid. I had an allergist give me something else that tasted terrible (and yes, I was only putting it in my nose), so I'm wondering if others have had better success with specific nasal steroids.

I've scheduled an appt. w/ an ENT to see if there is anything else I can do or should do, but I am more optimistic that I can figure out what will work. I was able to get down in the pool last week...it takes me awhile, and I have to come up slowly. I had clogged/pressure for nearly 2 days, but it wasn't the painful, I-must-see-the-dr that I'd had when I did hold-and-blow.

Thanks again to everyone for all the tips! We are set for our Open Water this week. I figure that my spouse & son will be certified and maybe I will, and maybe I'll only get part of mine done...but that's okay!

Someone else might have mentioned this, but I find that the more dives I do, the easier it becomes for my ears to clear. Your body begins to get used to it and as you gain experience you become more comfortable and relaxed which helps as well.

I had a lot of trouble equalizing when I started diving. I tried most of the suggestions listed here, but finally found if I removed my reg from my mouth and put my teeth together while swallowing my ears cleared easily. As a sign to my wife/buddy, I hold my reg, mouthpiece down, in front of my mask so she knows I am clearing.

Guys, i have discovered the holy grail for my ear problems. Bearing in mind in Pulau Weh it took me 7 minutes to get down a couple of weeks ago. Currently diving in the Perhentian Islands, an hour before i dived i took one 10mg Loratadine tablet. I managed to get down to 18m in seconds. I did some research on it and it came up here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/328527-loratadine.html looks like it should be okay.

Last edited:
The active ingredient in mucinex thins ALL bodily secretions; believe it or not, they even recommend it for those who struggle with infertility due to thick cervical mucous. I use it pretty regularly when diving and NEVER have issues with my ears. I would certainly give it a try before some of the other meds divers use (pseudofed) since it doesn't dry you out.

Here's my tried and true: claritin (for seasonal allergies), mucinex, tons and tons of water to drink, drops for swimmers ear (homemade with vinegar and water) after every dive. Oh, and I equalize with every breath at least for the first 15-20 feet or so. Works for me!!
Great advice.
As far as a squeeze, I've had a few. Go back to the level that it didn't hurt and stay awhile. It should go away.
Take your time. Much of ear clearing is experience. But, some is physiology. Don't stress out too much. Do drink plenty of water. I would advice against taking Afrin or decongestants. They have a bad habit of wearing off during a dive. Decongestants also have other bad side effects like increased blood pressure, which older divers certainly don't need while diving.
I do have ear problems at times and have even experienced vertigo. I'm usually one of the slower divers on descent, especially in places where you have to do a " hot drop" like Galapegos.
I have even had issues on planes and always have ear issues going up and down mountains. In fact, this summer, because I've done a lot of dive training, with a lot of shallow up and down, which is hard on the ears, it seems like my ears have never been unclogged.
But, at the same time, I never seem to not be able to "get down" while diving. I do occasionally take a break on a big dive trip when we're diving 25 dives in 7 days. Most f the time, though, it's not really a clearing issue.
I do believe, you'll find that it gets much easier with experience. Remeber, it should not hurt. Do not proceed through pain! Do not ascend or descend any further if it hurts! Just wait, it usually gets better. If descending, wait and do ear clearing. If ascending, just get a little lower, where it didn't hurt, and wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom