Loratadine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O 70

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Pollen counts are up and running and so is my nose.

Anything about Loratadine and diving I should be aware of?

Loratadine is one of the ingredients in Claritin.

Thanks!

Just personal experience... I've dove on prescription Claritin, other than being drowsy, didn't have any noticable effects while diving. This was the 24 hour version, hope that helps.

Note: didn't dive while drowsy, took it first thing in the morning and was fine by dive time.

My personal experience is the same. I´ve been diving on Claritin for several years without any problems.

Last edited:
I routinely take Claritin without evident adverse effects (well, the generic, Loratidine, that is). Recently hit Bonaire for a week and had 17 dives.

Richard.

Loratadine is a second generation antihistamine. This drug is believed to act by antagonizing the H1 receptor. As with all antihistamines, you may experience the side effects of dry mouth/throat, headache, fatigue, urinary retention, blurred vision and drowsiness. Loratadine is probably less sedating than some of the first generation antihistamines. This is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of side effects. Several of these side effects can be attributed to blockade of cholinergic muscarinic receptors.

You should know that loratadine is metabolized by cytochrome P450 liver enzymes. This is significant in that several other drugs (long list of various antibiotics, antifungals, etc.) affect the same liver enzymes. Simultaneous use of these meds can result in higher concentrations of the loratadine hanging around for longer periods of time in your body. For this reason, it can be helpful to ask your pharmacist or doctor whether loratadine interacts with any other meds you are taking.

That being said, I know several divers who regularly take loratadine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec) for their allergies. None of them have reported any issues with those meds while diving.

As with all new medications, try taking loratadine on a non-diving day first to see how the med affects you. It's interesting to note that many of the symptoms divers attribute to diving or being on a boat (dry mouth/throat, headache, fatigue) may be very similar to the side effects of antihistamines.

Last edited:
Used it for years...nice product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom