Ear Equalization Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I experienced similar issues during my open water dives, but not nearly as bad as yours. I would see a doctor familiar with diving issues, mine checked everything and basically told me I was an idiot. Why ? Because I've had allergies/sinus issues in general before, so I figured if I was going to go diving, I should double my allergy medication, when he heard that, combined with mask squeeze I experienced and not equalizing enough, he said I asked for it. Too much allergy meds actually makes sinus passage easier to bleed. My case may have nothing to do with yours, but I've never experienced issues since then by doing the following:
- Do a nasal rinse the three days before I go diving, or however many days feels right
- take allergy medication properly, in right dosages, and don't take any that could ever ever wear off during planned dives
- I start equalizing even before I descend
- I actually always tell whoever I'm diving with that I take a while to equalize, and that I apologize but I'm going to descend slowly. Gives them heads up, takes pressure off me to have to go fast if they equalize fast, etc. Sounds stupid, but just sets expectations and also reminds me to take it slow.
- it helps me to keep my fingers on my nose for the first 20 feet, and every couple feet squeeze nose closed and breathe out (instead of putting hands at my side after each equalization attempt)
- if i descend and feel any pressure like it's tight, I kick up a foot, then equalize. It should be something you shouldn't have to push, don't fight to equalize if it's not happening, go up a foot or two then do it.
- it really helps me a LOT to look like straight up to the surface and swallow or blow out. Stretching my neck up seems to work every time.

Even after I get to my level out depth, every once in a while I'll equalize. One thing I will say is don't let this stuff worry you or think diving won't work for you. See doctor for sure, probably nothing going on, if he clears you, stick with it, descend really slow along some rope line, practice other equalization tricks, whatever it takes. After my open water dives a couple years ago, seeing all that blood in my mask raised doubt in my mind, almost stopped diving. But get medical clearance, give it another go, most likely you can keep it from happening again... sorry for long response, been drinking and your experience reminded me of when it happened to me years back :)

Waits, I would recommend seeing a physician at this point. It's pretty clear you did some damage to your nose or sinuses with the equalization efforts, or damage to the mucosa from inadequate equalization. We often don't permit our students to dive again, once there is blood in the mask, because it usually indicates some kind of problem with equalization, and it's better to wait to another day.

If you had "massive problems" with equalization, either you weren't shown well enough how to do it, you waited too long to do it, or you had anatomic issues with the Eustachian tube that precluded equalization. At the very least, you should wait until all symptoms have resolved before trying again, and with this story, I would suggest an ENT evaluation prior to diving.

My point was only that after seeing a doctor, if cleared, things to do to equalize and to stick with it instead of quitting diving forever is all...

Back
Top Bottom