Ear equalizing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen a number of people claim that Doc Pro Plugs for divers were a gimmick and that any positive effect they had on a diver was placebo. I have seen several people told the same thing with respect to wearing a hood and how that helps them the equalize. I am not in a position to try to explain the science, but because of these examples, I am not about to write this mask off as a gimmick.

Oh, I am not writing them off as a gimmick. I know some DMs and instructors who use them - not all the time, but keep them on hand for periods where there ears might suffer from that 'pre-infection scratchiness'.

I just doubt some of the claims made for the mask. Check out their website and you'll see what I mean. Helping equalisation is one of those claims...

The only possible reason would be because it keeps the ears warmer - increased circulation and/or reduced inflammation (if cold water causes that?)...might have some minor effect on the Eustachian tubes? But even then, the temp of air being breathed, plus water contact with the neck and side-of-the-head would have a impact also.

Like I said, I am really scratching to see how those things could translate into a published claim that they 'helped equalisation'.

Even just keeping the ears dry might be beneficial, as water transfers pressure to the inner ear more efficiently than air.

Jim, I'm not really sure what you're talking about here.... or how it relates to the process of equalisation?

Pressure outside. Pressure inside. Sealed barrier between.

Equalise pressure inside via Eustachian tubes.

Oh, I am not writing them off as a gimmick. I know some DMs and instructors who use them - not all the time, but keep them on hand for periods where there ears might suffer from that 'pre-infection scratchiness'.

I just doubt some of the claims made for the mask. Check out their website and you'll see what I mean. Helping equalisation is one of those claims...

The only possible reason would be because it keeps the ears warmer - increased circulation and/or reduced inflammation (if cold water causes that?)...might have some minor effect on the Eustachian tubes? But even then, the temp of air being breathed, plus water contact with the neck and side-of-the-head would have a impact also.

Like I said, I am really scratching to see how those things could translate into a published claim that they 'helped equalisation'.

Jim, I'm not really sure what you're talking about here.... or how it relates to the process of equalisation.

Pressure outside. Pressure inside. Sealed barrier between.

Equalise pressure inside via Eustachian tubes.

Air on both side of the ear drum, rather than water on the one side, MIGHT be part of the solution, as water is far less compressable than gas.

Slight imballances in pressure between the two sides might have less of an impact if both sides have just the more compressable gas? Just a thought.

I commend Bubbletrubble and DevonDiver for their diplomacy. There is no plausible mechanism whereby these masks could aid in equalization. They are gimmicks, quackery, flimflam, etc. Keep them with your seabands, magnotherapy devices, crystals and ear candles.

banging_gavel.jpg

Air on both side of the ear drum, rather than water on the one side, MIGHT be part of the solution, as water is far less compressable than gas.

Slight imballances in pressure between the two sides might have less of an impact if both sides have just the more compressable gas? Just a thought.

The only way to equalise the ear is to have an open Eustachian tube. The mask plays no role in assisting the Eustachian tube.

Pressure is pressure. It doesn't matter whether it is exerted by air, water, lead or feathers.

As with everything when it comes to science one not only has to demonstrate something works but be able to explain how it works. (To compare with homeopathy it would be required to demonstrate benefits in double blind study AND explain the mechanism how it works. Water somehow remembers the "active" ingredient but forgets all the "poop" floating in it?)

Anyhow, as with Vladimir I simply see no way how such mask would work as advertised.

Actually, I can see instances when this mask could cause equalisation problems. It's directly vented from the mask air space. Any issues with equalising the mask (mask squeeze), would be directly transmitted to the ears.

Even without the ear tubes mask squeeze can be transmitted to the ears I believe?

I appreciate the feedback. For whatever the reason this mask does seem to have been of some help to a few divers. As noted, maybe it is just that water is kept from the ear canal.

I was simply curious, and looking for info from those who have such issues, and have had a chance to experiment with this particular mask, before I either write it off, or offer the suggestion to people I know with similar issues.

With respect to equalisation... where do you hear that it helped people?

As I explained in posting this thread I was doing so because a diver using the mask had told a friend of mine how effective it was in helping him overcome a serious clearing problem, and continue diving. So, curious, I sought more feedback.

Then around post #6 or so of this thread Quero posted a series of links to posts that mostly described similar successful experience. Quite a few very positive reviews in those threads, as well as discussion and other, less positive opinion similar to yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom