Ear equalizing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not follow Quero's links but I have read reviews on SB from a couple people that made the claim that it helped with their equalization issues (FWIW of course).

Even if the mask simply turns out to have a placebo like effect, as some suggest, placebos have been proven to be very effective medicine at times. If one feels more comfortable, and confident, and so relaxes a bit more and for that reason alone is then able to do a better job of clearing their ears, the tool, placebo or not would have done its job very well.

I am not yet prepared to either write it off, or give it credence.

I bought one of these masks a few years ago because I was diving in a lake with known bacterial problems. They are superb for keeping the ears dry, but don't necessarily make equalization any easier.

The ear cup MUST seal around the ears, just like the silicone of the mask must seal around the face. I had no problem (shaved head), but my dive buddy couldn't get the to seal. I purchased the specially made hood, which helped her seal the ear cups.

I use this type of mask as well just to keep my ear canals dry. You do need short hair in order for it to work though.

I bought one of these masks a few years ago because I was diving in a lake with known bacterial problems. They are superb for keeping the ears dry, but don't necessarily make equalization any easier.

The ear cup MUST seal around the ears, just like the silicone of the mask must seal around the face. I had no problem (shaved head), but my dive buddy couldn't get the to seal. I purchased the specially made hood, which helped her seal the ear cups.

I had not considered the dry ears in a hostile environment issue. I did get some sort of very nasty bug on one "fresh water" dive in Mexico, that that might have helped avoid. hmm.

Not sure I would want my head shaved tho.

After just having had a dive vacation ruined by a nasty ear infection due to overexposure to water, I'm getting this mask to keep my ears dry for all future dives.

The claims about equalization seem relatively inexplicable. As long as the mask keeps my ears dry and infection free that will be enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom