Ear Equilazation Products...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnctarheel:
I have used the pro ear for a couple of years and it has helped me. It is not a cure all
product but it does help. One other thing that it does is to help people that has a tendency to get a ear infection, by just keeping the water out

Equalization can be very difficult for me. So, I descend very slowly and continue trying to clear but being careful not to overdue that. I never stay at a level and continue trying. I ascend a bit and then do the maneuver gently. On a few occasions I have had to abort a dive because I couldn't equalize. Of course I don't like to do this but I've got two delicate Eustachian tubes and two delicate ear drums and I want to keep it that way.

Ondine

Thanks for all your help guys, I might have to try it out. I did have one question about it though - which I never really saw answered. If somehow the mask comes off at depth, along with the ear peices. Would the ear be damaged due to instant pressure change?

Will

No, there isn't a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the ear cup.

i sometimes have trouble equalizing, especially during the initial descend. for me the best way to equalize is by swallowing, but my mouth is usually sort of dry from the mouthpiece so it's hard to swallow nothing. therefore, i descend very slowly, and i sometimes just swallow a little bit of the seawater. it's salty, and some people advice against swallowing it, but it works for me. give it a try (unless you happen to diving in really polluted waters).

-floater

I suggest learning more about your ears and equalizing and practicing.

To learn more go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html
and watch the streaming video.

Practice clearing several times a day, every day and pretty soon you will have the technique down and your body will be better adapted to doing it.

pipedope:
I suggest learning more about your ears and equalizing and practicing.

To learn more go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html
and watch the streaming video.

Practice clearing several times a day, every day and pretty soon you will have the technique down and your body will be better adapted to doing it.

thanks. that was excellent info.

-floater

Just for a bit of additional information.

The gear you use can make a difference in equalizing ears but it doesn't make much difference in sport diving.

When I dive in a full face mask (FFM) or full helmet I can equalize more easily. I don't even need to block my nose in commercial gear but I don't use them for sport diving.
It comes in handy during working dives because I can keep my hands in the job.

If you develop great skills they will still serve you at times when you may have to use so-so gear. :D

I wish I could have had that video available 28 years ago. It would have made things much easier for me in the begining.

This can't help with ear infections!! Otitis media is an infection in the space behind the ear drum. Soap or water or bacteria that enters the ear from the outside can't get into this space to cause an infection. Bacteria enters the middle ear through the Eustachian tube. Clearly this tube does not exist simply to provide a secret passage for bacteria.

tkrock:
This can't help with ear infections!! Otitis media is an infection in the space behind the ear drum. Soap or water or bacteria that enters the ear from the outside can't get into this space to cause an infection. Bacteria enters the middle ear through the Eustachian tube. Clearly this tube does not exist simply to provide a secret passage for bacteria.

I get more ear infections on the outside of my eardrum (Otitis Externa a.k.a swimmer's ear) than on the inside. Alcohol/vinegar/H202 usually will prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom