Ear Plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been diving for years and always had difficulty equalizing. It hasn't stopped me from diving but is pretty annoying. I have read some reviews about vented ear plugs helping divers equalize easier. I would be interested to hear any opinions of divers who have tried them. Is there any reason not to use them?

I don't understand the mechanics of how an ear plug will help with equalization? Pressure is pressure whether water pressure or air pressure ,or am I missing something?

I don't think they help me equalize but they do keep water out of my ears. I uses the docs plugs by the way.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Agree. I also fail to see how they can help equalize, but others may explain. They tend to break off from the plastic "string" that connects the two of them-be careful. They are not good with a hood as they tend to move around in there. Besides, the hood keeps almost as much water out of your ears anyway unless you do some weird turning, etc. I use them in hoodless temps. and at times when snorkelling. I have a spare pair in case the "string" breaks.

Used the vented Doc pro plugs for many years for surfing, boogieboarding, swimming, snorkeling, and scuba.
They are good at keeping water from flushing in and out of the ear. And in the case of bodysurfing they keep sand out as well.
Since using them the number of ear infections I've had has dropped to close to zero.
But as far as equalizing, they don't help with that.

Logically, you'd think having something in your ears that has a tiny hole in it would make it harder, not easier to equalize than with just open ears, no? I never notice any difference and am not up on the physics of these things. Can anyone who feels they help with equalizing explain how this works?

Logically, you'd think having something in your ears that has a tiny hole in it would make it harder, not easier to equalize than with just open ears, no? I never notice any difference and am not up on the physics of these things. Can anyone who feels they help with equalizing explain how this works?

That shouldn't be a problem as equalisation occurs internally from the eustacian tubes through to the middle ear- the plugs are in the outer ear. The small hole is there presumably to vent expanding gas on ascent.

Last edited:
Doc Pro plugs for divers are vented and help keep water from rushing into your ears. At a certain depth you'll eventually get water in your ears.
What some say the plugs do is give you more time to equalize, but it doesn't make equalizing easier per say.
[-]The reason behind this is probably because you're equalizing against air pressure in your ear canal rather than direct water pressure. Recall that air can be compresses while water cannot. So theoretically it would be easier to equalize when there's air pressed up against both sides of your ear drum VS air and water on either side.
But for those of us who don't get water easily in our ears this advantage is kinda moot.[/-]

Stay away from non-vented ear plugs as those can cause you harm when submerging.

Last edited:
I don't understand the mechanics of how an ear plug will help with equalization? Pressure is pressure whether water pressure or air pressure ,or am I missing something?
You are not missing anything. There is no plausible mechanism whereby vented ear plugs could aid in equalization.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

The reason behind this is probably because you're equalizing against air pressure in your ear canal rather than direct water pressure. Recall that air can be compresses while water cannot. So theoretically it would be easier to equalize when there's air pressed up against both sides of your ear drum VS air and water on either side.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom