Ear Plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem equalizing? Go to ur Dr and have them checked and cleared of wax. In my humble experience this solves 90% of equalizing problems. Also equalize extra frequently in the shallows i.e. Every meter until 10 meters.

Problem equalizing? Go to ur Dr and have them checked and cleared of wax. In my humble experience this solves 90% of equalizing problems.
What solves it, the check or the clearing of wax? If it's the wax, please explain how that would help. Wax is on the outside of your ear-drum. Equalizing takes place on the other side.

The check can determine anatomical problems (in the middl ear if i remember correctly) and the clean will help prevent inflamation/ infection.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2012 at 04:02 PM ----------
g1138:
The reason behind this is probably because you're equalizing against air pressure in your ear canal rather than direct water pressure. Recall that air can be compresses while water cannot. So theoretically it would be easier to equalize when there's air pressed up against both sides of your ear drum VS air and water on either side.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

Where I'm coming from, if you're trying to flex your eardrum out to relieve the external pressure, it would be easier when there's air pressure and not water pressure directly against the ear drum.

Let say you have a gap of air between the outside of your ear drum and the water. You could flex the eardrum, which will compress the air because the eardrum takes up some volume in the ear canal. The air will then try to re-expand and displace some water out. But with water, you can't compress the water, you have to displace it out of your ear canal. So you're moving all that water and pressure out against your eardrum.
I'm thinking it's easier to push against air than water. That's just my thought process.

Still crazy? :idk:

Still crazy? :idk:
Yes, still crazy. You don't have to flex your eardrum out to equalize—you just have to get the pressure on the inside of the eardrum to equal the pressure on the outside, that's all. In fact, the less flexing the better. If you have a problem equalizing it is in getting gas through the eustachian tube to the eardrum.

Yes, still crazy. You don't have to flex your eardrum out to equalize—you just have to get the pressure on the inside of the eardrum to equal the pressure on the outside, that's all. In fact, the less flexing the better. If you have a problem equalizing it is in getting gas through the eustachian tube to the eardrum.

Ahh, right.....forget I said anything.

Back
Top Bottom