Ear Trauma at 15 metres = Never Dive Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fritz,

I hope your tinnitus is not permanent.

I have had it around 12 years. Mine was probably not diving related. Came up around bad sinus infections/viral thing..prior to my first sinus surgery. I was not diving alot then.

Drove me crazy at first.

Sad to say I have gotten used to it. Hardly notice it anymore.

Ice crushers/makers in restaurants/bars REALLY set the tinnitus off the charts for me.

Thanks Duke

Is the Tinnitus permanent. You are quite correct about it being madening.

Fritz,

Hard to tell... it's a very individual thing. Serial audiograms will help quantify hearing loss. Tinnitus is more subjective but a good audiologist can tease out the frequency and severity and may be able to give some recommendations for mitigation.

Best,
DDM

I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, so have researched it a lot. My understanding of it is that it is a nervous system problem, in that the system is reading sound that is not actually there. Anything that excites the nervous system (like worrying about the tinnitus, for example) can make the tinnitus louder. As noted by someone else here, certain sounds, types of sounds, or volume levels can get it going. Your state of health can affect it -- mine is way louder when I'm sick, for example. Some substances (caffeine, aspirin, others) may get it going, as well. If you have it for a time, you might want to note what affects it so that you can manage it more effectively.

It's very important to find your peace with it, accept it as nuisance background noise, and turn your attention to other things. I hope yours is temporary, but if it's not, there are many worse things to have. I'm not saying having tinnitus is inconsequential, but if you can learn to treat it as if it is, your experience will be much better.

Good luck.

Let me first say I hope that you make a full recovery. I suffer from bilateral high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. My tinnitus never really goes away but does seem to be worse when it's completely quiet. It doesn't stop me from diving. I should also mention that my hearing was not damaged diving, I served in Iraq in 2003-2004 and it was damaged then. Good luck.

aussie82, thanks for serving. My son was in Iraq about the same time! His ears were probably shot from learning to hunt as a young boy.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Fred Fitz,

First, I hope you will recover from this and be able to dive again in the future, just give yourself the time to get through this and heal.

About five years ago on a very easy dive in GCM, I heard a pop and muffled sound upon a casual descent from 70-80 feet. I completed that dive and decided not to do the second dive as I didn't feel 100% on the boat. Note I was not having any issue clearing my ears on the dive. On the surface I noted some hearing loss. I contacted DAN (a must have for any diver) and they advised to see an ENT. My ENT upon examination said there was much fluid/blood behind my eardrum and a possible PLF. The ENT placed a tube in my ear to drain it as I had to travel the following week for business. The hearing loss was what bothered me most and gave me a new appreciation to all those that have hearing problems. My ENT advised not diving unless 20-30 ft, I said you mean only snorkeling then??? Bummer.

The goods news is I was very lucky, I've healed and my hearing has come back to about 98% with some ringing in the ears. Which as others have stated is present when it is very quiet and you learn to live with it. More importantly, I am diving again this year, 15 dives with no issues! Cayman and Cozumel. This go round I will shy away from deep dives >80ft and only dive when I feel 100% healthy. Still so much to enjoy under the sea.

Best of luck and hope this helps to encourage you!

Hello all and thank You all for your replies.
I have now been to see twp reputable ENT surgeons and both have basically said that if they were to give their opinions on court they would have to advise against any further diving. Furthermore, they did say that if we were having a drink in the pub they woul dadvise that I would probably be OK to dive. Nothing like a straight answer. Does anyone have any further advice.

Fritz

I think you are being told "it should be ok, but don't blame us if you have a problem".

I'd dive but be extra cautious and never stop being cautious.
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Fritz, thanks for following up. May I ask whether the ENT physicians conducted any tests? If so, what were the results, and how were they explained to you?

Best regards,
DDM

aussie82, thanks for serving. My son was in Iraq about the same time! His ears were probably shot from learning to hunt as a young boy.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Fred Fitz,

First, I hope you will recover from this and be able to dive again in the future, just give yourself the time to get through this and heal.

About five years ago on a very easy dive in GCM, I heard a pop and muffled sound upon a casual descent from 70-80 feet. I completed that dive and decided not to do the second dive as I didn't feel 100% on the boat. Note I was not having any issue clearing my ears on the dive. On the surface I noted some hearing loss. I contacted DAN (a must have for any diver) and they advised to see an ENT. My ENT upon examination said there was much fluid/blood behind my eardrum and a possible PLF. The ENT placed a tube in my ear to drain it as I had to travel the following week for business. The hearing loss was what bothered me most and gave me a new appreciation to all those that have hearing problems. My ENT advised not diving unless 20-30 ft, I said you mean only snorkeling then??? Bummer.

The goods news is I was very lucky, I've healed and my hearing has come back to about 98% with some ringing in the ears. Which as others have stated is present when it is very quiet and you learn to live with it. More importantly, I am diving again this year, 15 dives with no issues! Cayman and Cozumel. This go round I will shy away from deep dives >80ft and only dive when I feel 100% healthy. Still so much to enjoy under the sea.

Best of luck and hope this helps to encourage you!

Fritz,

Sounds like the ENT's are being very cautious, as mine was. Probably a good thing for all. Hopefully in time, perhaps even years, you will be able to dive without issue.

I've now done over 35 dives this year with the deepest at 100' and no issues. I was told not to dive anymore about 5 years ago. I waited for the healing to take place and wanted to give it another chance before getting rid of all my gear. Am now very happy I've gotten back into the sport. Only you and your body will tell if/when you can dive again. I hope you heal well and are able to get wet again.

Thank You all agin for your replies

Duke,
I had a barage of tests but cannot remember their names. I will do my best to describe them.
On the first test the put a mask over my eyes. I had to stare at a spot on the wall, numerous spots, they would cover the mask and watch my eyes with cameras built into the mask. Apparently my eyes wandered a little.
Next, in both the sitting position and lying position, they put the mask on again and squirted cold and warm water in my ears while watching my eyes. They did say there was a small effect on my balance but I did not feel it.
They did hearing tests. First through the ear and then through the skull. Some high frquency hearing loss in the left ear only (injured ear)
They then pressurised my ears to see if they held pressure whilst playiong sounds. All was good here.

I hope this helps

Fritz

Fritz,

This is difficult to tell without actually seeing test results, but from what you've posted it appears that you have some inner ear damage. Inner ear barotrauma is impossible to definitively diagnose without surgery, but clearly your doctor suspected it and the test results seem to support that conclusion.

You didn't report any vertigo but again going just by what you've posted, you may have some damage to the semicircular canals in the injured ear. Your intact ear has probably compensated for this, but if that ear is injured you could suffer from permanent, debilitating vertigo. This is why your physician advised you not to dive any more.

You're in a tough situation because at your level of experience you're already task-loaded, especially in current like you were in, and it can be easy to lose track of whether you're clearing your ears or not. It's possible that your injury was related to improper equalization technique, but you may also have anatomic issues. You could try again while being very mindful of the condition of your ears and abort the dive if you can't clear, but you may be gambling with your quality of life. Sorry the news isn't better, mate.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom