Ears - over a long dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to be very careful with my ears. I have seen several doctors including ENTs. I found that after multiple days of diving I am prone to otitis externa (outer ear infection) and eustacian tube dysfunction. I am not a doctor myself and I am only describing what works for me.

I buy swimmers ear drops, which are usually 95% isopropyl alcohol and glycerin. I cut that to a 50/50 solution with white vinegar. This will change the PH in the ear canal to make is a less hospitable place for bacteria. I treat after every dive, 5 minutes in each ear. I don't wait till I feel it coming on. I have not had any issues with ear infections for a couple years.

For my eustacian tubes I take an anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen throughout the course of the dives. It keeps my body ahead of the wave, so to speak, regarding swelling. That has helped tremendously and have not had issues with it for years as well.

I also discussed all this with my personal doctor and I have a filled prescription of antibiotic ear drops and a full run of prednisone for my big trips just in case I'm in a foreign country where I don't trust local medicine.

I spent a LOT of money, time and pain learning the difference between ear infections and eustacian tube problems. This consistent use of ear solution and anti-inflammatorys has been working very well for me.

Maybe in the next release of the human respiratory system Apple and Microsoft will improve upon our abilities to equalize our ears and sinuses! :)

I equalize almost constantly for the first 15 or so feet. I have noticed that my ears can go from fine to blocker very quickly at times. I didn't have that problem 10 years ago. I have also noticed that multi-dive-multi-day diving can leave my ears unwilling to cooperate.

Just pay close attention to them, equalize early and often, and don't be afraid to take a diving break to let them rest.

Wife and I are big fans of 24 hr alegra-d. My ent also recommended a steroid spray 1 or 2 weeks before the trip. I only do that during hayfever season. We also use ac sparingly. Run during day and turn off to sleep. Its still a challenge but keeps us going 3-4 dives a day for 6days! We do not get any adverse reaction to the alegra-d, but for sure try it out at home before using on a dive!!!

I've almost always had trouble equalizing after a few days of diving, but I seem to have nailed it pretty well. I take a 12 hour sudafed each morning before diving, and an ibuprofin. I also wear vented docs proplugs. I also try and remember to put a bit of air in my BC before splashing, so I don't have that little bounce at the beginning. But the final secret for me was do just do all this stuff everyday when I'm diving, even if I'm not having problems (yet.) I used to wait until I was having problems equalizing to start with anything like sudafed, but I've found I do much better if I stay ahead of it.

Ear beer is a great idea, I've used it since getting an external ear infection one trip. But as some have said not going to help with the equalizing.

As far as holding nose vs. any other equalization technique, I don't think it matters as long as you figure out what works for you. Of course if you're actually forcing anything whatever your technique, that's probably not good.

I think the bottom line is that ears experience some trauma from diving, almost no matter how careful you are. If you're like me, and normally equalize when you feel the pressure in the ears, you have allowed enough pressure differential to occur to do a minor degree of trauma. Over multiple dives and multiple days, this is cumulative.

What I try to do on such a trip is be far more diligent about equalizing. I pre-pressurize my ears before descent, and try to remember to equalize every couple of feet, BEFORE I have ANY indication that I need to do so. I seriously try to avoid any yo-yoing in the shallows, which is the hardest on my ears (although chasing mantas in shallow water is an exception).

I also take ibuprofen at night, to minimize inflammation in the ear or Eustachian tube.

BTW, for everyone's benefit: Nothing you put in the external auditory canal is going to make any difference at all in your ability to clear your ears. It may prevent a PAINFUL outer ear (otitis external) but it does not affect anything in the middle ear or the Eustachian tube.

As far as holding nose vs. any other equalization technique, I don't think it matters as long as you figure out what works for you. Of course if you're actually forcing anything whatever your technique, that's probably not good.

I think that is the million dollar question, if you're equalizing by having to hold your nose and blowing, how can you not be forcing? Seems logical to me that equalizing without putting all the pressure on your ears by holding and blowing would be less traumatic.

Inflammation can be exacerbated by certain foods, spices, wines,caffeine or lack of caffeine, etc. I like what others said about ibuprofin, but I prefer naproxen sodium, Aleve. Also helps with general aches and pains of age.
Maybe you could do more equalizing at home or work to exercise your tubes?
Maybe you could move to a lower altitude?

I'm no spring chicken anymore either but my ear problems don't seem to be any worse. Problems arise shen I forget to equalize just before the backroll, if I'm messing with some gear instead of paying attention to my need to equalize etc. Not so sure it's as much my age as it is being a more experienced diver. I used to think about my ears the most but having become so relaxed, that seems to have left me occasionally forgetting to prioritize my chant "equalize early and often". I used to equalize in my room, as I walked down the dock, as I got on the boat, etc etc. Definitely notice that difference when I fail to have a quick light little equalize before the roll. Perhaps your wife is also in the habit of over equalizing? Too hard of a honk?

Last edited:
I'm no spring chicken anymore either but my ear problems dont seem to be any worse. Problems arise when I forget to equalize just before the backroll,

Totally agree with that one, big breath, clear ears, roll back while breathing in again so I can equalise once more under water.

Back
Top Bottom