East or West side of Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimargo35

Reaction score
Hi, being new to diving and this is my first trip to Curacao (port on a cruise), I was wondering which side of the island you recommend.

Inquiring about using the Dive Bus.

I've used The Dive Bus and they are awesome. They are on the East side of the island not far from capital Willemstadt (besides Breezes Resort).

The two sides of the island are very different. On the West, you have the best beaches and some good dive spots as well: Mushroom Forest, Cas Abao, Port Mari and Playa Kalki. On the west side, there is a better infrastructure (hotels, transport,...), no nice beaches and other good spots like: Car Pile, Tugboat and Lion's Dive. Besides, it's nearer to Willemstadt and its nightlife.

The western spots are nicer, but you won't stay there only, you surely will dive on the East, so if you are worried just about diving, I'd recomend to stay near Willemstadt.

If you stay on the West, beware you MUST rent a car.

Since you're only there for the day, I wouldn't recommend driving out of town.

Playa Kalki is a 45min drive one way after you get a car rented. And the downtown area is really congested when ship(s) are in port. So you could easily burn 2 hrs. + just getting there/back. If you decide to try it Ocean Encounters West does have a good facility there with showers/lockers. But PK is probably the best shore dive on Curacao.

The Dive Bus is a good option (one that I also recommend often) but they don't seem to offer their normal service to shore dive sites for Cruise passengers - if I'm reading this correctly: The Dive Bus - Diving Curacao for cruise ship passengers

Note that you have to take a cab there, they don't pick up at the cruise port.
If you have any questions, PM Suzy from the Dive Bus: [user]TheDiveBus[/user]

I think I would try the Tugboat. It can be done as a shallow dive (the boat itself is in 20') or start the dive deeper around the point and do your safety stop checking out the boat. (it's pretty small) There's a wall around the point that my friends said was loaded with eels.

It's probably close enough to the cruise port that a cab ride wouldn't be too expensive - maybe $25? each way or so. There's an on site diveop there for tanks. One thing to know about anywhere you shore dive - there's often a diveop on site and you pay a small fee to use the facilities - under $5 US IIRC.

It's possible your cruise line may also take divers to the Tugboat. From what I've read the cruise excursions can be pricey. There also could be a lot of snorkelers from a ship there. We watched as a cruise tour boat moored and dropped over 50 snorkelers near the Tugboat. It's a popular snorkel because you can see a wreck at 20'.

I think the previous poster missed the part that you're on a cruise. Once you leave Willemstad the roads get worse and street signs become harder to find. If you do decide on Play Kalki stay on the North road when it splits outside of town, it's faster to Westpunt but less scenic. The other road goes through small towns along the water so it's slower. There's also not a lot of eating options anywhere except Westpunt on the drive back on either road.

Are you solo? It's likely you won't find anyone to dive with at either the Tugboat or Playa Kalki. So maybe the DiveBus is the best option.

While you probably wont make it to the West end, a little correction on Steve's above post.
Just past Barber on the "North Road", the road is under construction. Some days when they are actually working the traffic is routed around Barber and you might end up on the Soto/Caribbean road anyway. Right now it can be the faster route. Plus much of the road from Willibrordus to Santa Cruz has been repaved making the Caribbean side a little more car friendly.
http://www.abcislands.se/img/Curacao_map_large.jpg

Last year, I met a couple at Cas Abou beach. They had a morning dive while their friends relaxed on the beach. They followed me to Westpunt and we enjoyed Alice In Wonderland. They returned to CA, picked up the others and were back to town in plenty time to return the rental.
One note; they were on the Something Of The Sea and docked at the mega pier. The rental company gave them longer directions than were necessary. From the cruise ship, head west along the water. Go 1/2 way around a very small rotary (main road). Go through 3 sets of lights. Go 3/4 around a large rotary with metal statue. You will be headed west on the Weg Naar Westpunt. After you drive through Tera Cora, you'll notice a fading billboard with a girl on a motorcycle with her butt cheeks showing (oh yeah, it's actually an ad for Monster Drink). Take the next left - the road Korsu has mentioned.
But.... being new divers, you'd enjoy the staff and the variety of fish found at the Dive Bus Hut just as much. There are regulations on who can pick up at the dock. You might need to take a taxi. Or.... if there is a shuttle going to Mambo Beach, the Dive Bus is a quarter mile before it.
By experiencing one dive, you'll have time to walk around town, tour the synagouge, the slave museum, maybe the maritime museum and sit with a drink and watch the boat traffic, floating bridge and everyone walk by.
Divers need more than 8 hours to enjoy the beauty of underwater Curacao. Come back for a few weeks!

Thanks to each of you for your input. I'm diving solo; wife does snorkeling if the water is extremely clear and warm.... she panics if she can't see! So, she would enjoy a nice beach while I dive.

The ships excursions do not let her tag along... only certified divers they say.

Sounds like The Dive Bus is the best answer for us. I emailed Suzy a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet.

Any more advice for how to get the most out of this one short day in port is appreciated!!

Sounds like The Dive Bus is the best answer for us. I emailed Suzy a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet.

jimargo35,
She'll mail back, sooner or later. At this moment they are having a trip to Bonaire and are expected to come back to Curaçao this weekend.
Don't forget to check your spam filter: some providers are very strict when it comes to mailtraffic from this side of the globe.

K.

jimargo35,
She'll mail back, sooner or later. At this moment they are having a trip to Bonaire and are expected to come back to Curaçao this weekend.
Don't forget to check your spam filter: some providers are very strict when it comes to mailtraffic from this side of the globe.

K.

Yes, just back from Bonaire with Mark and Suz...fantastic time.

Highly recommend "The Bus" for all diving. If nothing else, take a cab to the "The Dive Hut" (The Bus' Headquarters) and dive Car Pile. Tug Boat is a great dive and especially easy to get in and out of. If you are relatively new, Tug would be a great choice.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom