Easy PSI/BAR Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Americans, let's take it as a given that the whole rest of the world uses metric. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant... it just is. You don't see me screaming about how gravity is corny and that we never got a sequel for Buckaroo Banzai, do you? No. Because I've simply accepted that it is so.

So today I wind up with a sidemount pressure gauge in bar and one in psi. Because I forgot my Teric (again) and, therefore, couldn't use my fancy transmitter. Had to resort to the spare sidemount SPG on my left tank. Which is in a different format than the SPG on my right tank.

What's more, in our team we had some people who are used to metric and some used to imperial.

I've grown very comfortable switching between the two for gas planning purposes, so talks on the surface were a piece of cake. But it's rare that I have to convert so frequently on the fly as I did today, constantly switching sidemount regs and making sure that my tanks were balanced.

I could have just gone lazy about it and just trusted that my 5 minute switches were keeping the tanks even enough... but that's not how I roll. Instead, every 20 minutes or so, I wound up doing math in my head. Which is not my strong suit.

If it was my strong suit I'm sure I would have noticed the pattern much, much quicker than the two 90 minute dives it took me today. A pattern I'm pretty annoyed no one ever told me about.

So I'll tell you about it here.

1 bar = 14.5 psiBut for math in our head let's call it 1 bar = 15 psi. Because **** it; pressure gauges aren't that accurate anyway.

file.png
9fd333_b3c30fafa10d48039fdf8d263e893520~mv2.webp

So it stands to reason that if 1 = 15 then 20 = 300. That is, 300psi = 20bar. Those are actual numbers that an SPG can read. And gives us a super-easy 2:3 ratio.

All you need to do to go from bar to psi: add 50% then tack a zero onto the end.

160 bar +80 (which is 50%) = 240 tack on a zero and you get 2400psi.

(actual conversion is 2320... but who cares? You ever have one of those buddies with an AI computer who tells you their pressure to the single digit? Yeah. Me too.)

To go the other way, from psi to bar: divide by three, take two of those thirds, and take a zero off the end of it.

1800 psi ÷ 3 = 600 x2 = 1200 remove a zero 120 bar

(actual conversion 124 bar. But, again, who gives a ****?)

Or you can further streamline this, as I did, because working in smaller numbers makes me feel safer because I am a mathematical nincompoop. Just work through the 2:3 ratio in whichever direction you need to go and then assume that there's two zeros if you're going into psi and only one if you're going into bar.

And, obviously, just squidge it by 100psi or 10 bar in whichever direction you need to go if you wind up working with a number that isn't divisible by 2 or 3. And you'll be close enough for government work.

170 bar We'll work from 17. We need to add 50%. We'll call it 8 because that's half of 16. So 25 (I know because I just now counted it using my fingers). We're looking for psi so we just add two zeros. 2500. In my head (and on my fingers) I just now sorted that 170 bar = 2500psi

Actual conversion using conversion software: 2465 psi

1700 psi. Again, let's just go with 17. Divide by three? Yeah, **** that, I'm gonna divide 15 by 3 and get 5. I'm gonna take two 5s and have a 10. I'm looking for bar, so I'l just add a zero to the 10 and have 100. But, you know, I divided by way less than what I actually had, so I'm just gonna throw another 10 bar at it for good measure. Again, in my head (I didn't need my fingers for this one) I just sorted out that 1700 psi = 110 bar.

Actual conversion using software: 117 bar

Just how the hell about that, huh?

Seriously, I'm pretty bummed no one ever showed me this.

But now I've shown you.

And now we can wait for the Americans to start screaming about how the whole rest of the world should change to THEIR system. Because a base 10 system that even works across different types of measurements is apparently far inferior to a system based on who knows (or cares) the antiquated **** what. In about 3... 2... 1...

A related trick to have in the bag is to multiply
hundreds by 7 for psi->bar. Switching at 500 psi on one tank? Switch at 35 bar on the other. Over 1000 psi, add 70 for each 1000s and then 7x for the hundreds.

I'll use the 1/3 doubled for the easy ones, but 7x elsewhere.

Ps: I do tips with shift the decimal left then add half. Sometimes just double.

All you need to do to go from bar to psi: add 50% then tack a zero onto the end.

160 bar +80 (which is 50%) = 240 tack on a zero and you get 2400psi.

(actual conversion is 2320... but who cares? You ever have one of those buddies with an AI computer who tells you their pressure to the single digit? Yeah. Me too.)
And then subtract the 50%.
160 bar +80 = 240, gets 2400 - 80=2320
210 bar + 105 = 315. x10 = 3150. 3150-105=3045 Google says 3045.79

@oya , the only thing I would add to your post is that I was taught to always round down. Far better to report 10% under than risk reporting more than you have.

I dive in bar, so it does take me a second to convert when exchanging air signals with buddies who almost always dive in psi. So I do what you do, add 50% and add a zero, but then I take off 10 bar. The reason being that if I have 200 bar, that's 2901 psi. Add 50% and a zero, you get 3000 psi. So you're 100 (OK, 99) psi short. Unless I'm reporting more than 200 bar (which essentially never happens), I'd be at most 100 psi above the actual reading. So my calculation would be 200 bar + 50% => 300 bar - 10 bar => 290 bar => 2900 psi. Right on the money. At 100 bar (a more typical level to be worried), I'd be reporting 1400 psi. Low by 50 compared to the actual value of 1450, but still only off by 4%.

Well, I remember seeing SPG with both units. Won't that help underwater ? Sorry if the question seems dumb. I must admit that living in France and diving mainly in Europe, PSI are rather exotic to me.

Well, I remember seeing SPG with both units. Won't that help underwater ? Sorry if the question seems dumb. I must admit that living in France and diving mainly in Europe, PSI are rather exotic to me.
Then you haven't got a problem. Others do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom