Easy PSI/BAR Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLDR - cliff notes 1 bar ~ 15psi.

Tomorrow's lesson converting meters to feet.
Cliff notes 1 meter ~ 3.3 feet.
Easy conversion multiply meters by 3 and add 10% to result.

Then we will tackle Celsius to Fahrenheit.

I'm always confused when people who are good with math tell people who are not good with math, "Just do the math better. It's easy." As if it hadn't occurred to me to just do that instead.

Kind of folks who tell people who just slipped off a roof
to get up and walk it off.

@oya , the only thing I would add to your post is that I was taught to always round down. Far better to report 10% under than risk reporting more than you have..
Excellent advice.

I admit that I'm coming at this from more of a tech/cave diver's viewpoint where we don't really report pressures to one another; we've either got enough to continue or we thumb the dive, that's about the scope of pressure conversation.

I'm also coming at it from more of a standpoint of, "Better to be in the ballpark than to just have no bloody idea," rather than with absolute precision.

Few people I know can actually do this conversion in their head with great ease. And for me... I'm 5000+ dives in and am surprised no one had ever suggested such a conversion to me. Most everyone just bickers about how their system is better.

Americans, let's take it as a given that the whole rest of the world uses metric. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant... it just is. You don't see me screaming about how gravity is corny and that we never got a sequel for Buckaroo Banzai, do you? No. Because I've simply accepted that it is so.
I don't really ever need to convert, but thumbs up given anyhow for the first Buckaroo Banzai reference I've seen in about 35 years. :)

I am even more simple.

200 bar =3000 psi
100 bar = 1500 psi
50 bar = 750 psi

You have a pretty small diameter gauge.
You can easily see halves in between..
It's a bit like reading an analog clock,
Do they teach that anymore?

This is what I do also if so for some reason I get stuck with an overachiever that "has" to dive in psi. Simple easy to remember and no fancy math required

but ever simpler is just spend the $50 and buy a spg in bar and be done with it.

LOL using 3 as a factor. Move the decimal, add half then add two zeros. Try doing that at 60 meters, still not so simple.

Back
Top Bottom