Eating out in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was serious about the food truck. Probably the best prepared fish meals I've ever had. Too bad they had to change locations and their set-up a bit.

Missed it last time, but am really looking forward to making the Kite City Food Truck next time, I have heard nothing but great things!

Will's Grill is very nice and Will does some really healthy dishes....

Jim...

The Tuesday night all you can eat at the Plaza Resort might work for you. Everything is grilled and if I recall correctly the sauces are on the side. Grilled meat, chicken and fish. Fresh salads.

I would definitely say that Capriccio's and Cactus Blue fall into the "worth the calories" categories. Not that I have tried everywhere, only been to Bonaire twice (so far?). I would recommend the grill combo at Plazita Limena though, very nice and light and you will have leftovers for the next day especially if you are going solo.

Unfortunately, Cactus Blue has been closed for a while now (few years).

I would also check out the local joint El Fogon Latino. I thought that their grilled fish (plain) was as good or better than any of the bigger restaurants in town. We stay above It Rains Fishes every year and that is one of the few restaurants that we avoid. It is not very good in my opinion and they are pretty heavy on cream sauces and such. Even their salad was loaded with mayo dressing. not cheap either.

For lunch, Karel's has a plain grilled fish sandwich that is pretty good.

I also enjoy Mona Lisa for a grilled fish dinner. They post their catch of the day on the chalkboard so walk by to see what they caught that day. Their tuna sashimi is pretty good too.

What's the name of the sushi place? Seems like it was pretty good but a little pricey.

Unfortunately, Cactus Blue has been closed for a while now (few years).

I would also check out the local joint El Fogon Latino. I thought that their grilled fish (plain) was as good or better than any of the bigger restaurants in town. We stay above It Rains Fishes every year and that is one of the few restaurants that we avoid. It is not very good in my opinion and they are pretty heavy on cream sauces and such. Even their salad was loaded with mayo dressing. not cheap either.

For lunch, Karel's has a plain grilled fish sandwich that is pretty good.

I also enjoy Mona Lisa for a grilled fish dinner. They post their catch of the day on the chalkboard so walk by to see what they caught that day. Their tuna sashimi is pretty good too.

I meant the Cactus Blue food truck, which I visited this past summer (2014). I did visit the Cactus Blue restaurant in 2011(same folks just wanted to be nearer to the kite surfing action). I believe the food truck is still alive and well just not operated by Hagen anymore, but could be wrong! Thanks for the other recommendations - I have not made it to any of the others!

+1 for Will's too!

+2 for Will's & Mona Lisa...and not sure why nobody has recommended Bistro de Paris. I think those three are our favorites. Capriccio's and It Rains Fishes are ok but overrated IMO.

We like Zeezicht for seafood; just one comment - avoid going out for lunch in town when a cruise ship is in port; the restaurants may be packed with cruisers.

Wil's is a favorite. Mona Lisa wasn't as good in December as when I was there last, but still nice. (If a little pricey)

It Rains Fishes was good, though a touch more than we wanted to spend that night having been to Wil's and Mona Lisa the two previous nights (We had already ordered and gotten our wine at IRF before looking at the menu.)

Eddy's was quite good and not terribly expensive.

Decent burger at Buddy Dive's beacfront bar/restaurant.

Surprise of our most recent trip was the Ribs Factory. I'm a rib aficionado... and their's did not disappoint.

Our M.O. was breakfast buffet in the morning. Sandwiches for lunch (PB&J or leftovers from aforementioned buffet) a few beers and snacks while rinsing gear... and then spend too much on food and wine for dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom