Ed Robinsons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Ed Robinson's last month.

My impression is that the boat operation is top notch, but the office staff operation is not.

Everything on the boat went well. Briefing were very detailed, and included what rare creatures they would look for, and pictures of said underwater life, how the dive would be preformed, and how to differeniate the dive masters underwater, and they groups did not bunch up. They did not assign true two person buddy teams, but the groups were very small, 5 divers per DM, and everyone ended up buddied. It could be if they noticed people weren't budding up, they would have stepped in.

They did the best job of any of the dive boats I used in finding local wildlife and ensuring that all the divers had the chance to see it.

It is my feeling that more accomplished divers tend to use Ed Robinson's.

For the back office, there was a pretty bad screw up. After my first dive with them, the DM asked if I'd go on another dive. We booked the dive right there, I paid for the dive, and the dive was called into the office.

When I showed up for the dive, I wasn't on the list, and they had actually booked me for the previous day in error, something I didn't find out until the office opened later in the day.

Plus, the office didn't know which DM were working which day, and the office was a bit dismissive when dealing with the issue.

As long as you are on the boat, I don't think the office staff reflects on the quality of the dive itself.

Xanthro

Now that I think about it I had a problem with the office too, though since it was so long ago you wouldn't think it's relevant. Maybe the boat and office have both managed to remain consistant all these years!

They wanted a deposit to reserve our dives, I wanted to use a credit card as I wasn't sure about the mail getting there in time, but they really wanted a check. This was a few weeks ahead and did not get there in time so they cancelled our reservation. They said they tried to call, but they called our home even though we had told them we would be in Hawaii on another island the previous week and told them where we were staying. Annoying, but it all worked out.

My experience with the office has been fine. On our frist trip to Maui we did one dive with them, loved em and asked if they had 2 openings the next day. They called the office, and didn't have any spots available. They took our number and put us on a waiting list for the next day, as well as the following day. We got a call the next day saying they had 2 spots available the following day and we took them.

Not sure what their reservation policy was several years ago, but I know for the past 3 years they only require a credit number to hold your spot. You don't pay until you arrive back to the launch after the dives, where you square up with the captain. They also have a 48 hour cancellation policy. As long as you notify them within that time frame, you don't owe anything.

If I remember right, the first time I called them to make a reservation they were a little short on the phone, but every conversation I've had since then both Evalyn and Gail have been very helpful.

I used ERDA in early Sept and was quite happy with them, and generally would confirm the nice things previously said about the op. We dove the backwall of Molkini and Marty's Reef.

One person mentioned it, but to stress the point: ERDA leaves from Kihei Boat Ramp. It's a long drive (30-45 minutes, or maybe more) to that site if you're staying in Lahaina or Kaanapali, or other points on the west/northwest of the island.

On the bookkeeping side: Don't plan on a quick getaway after the dives. The crew will will get the boat out of the water, and then settle up for the day. If you're going to be rushed, try to handle any paperwork/paying/etc before you dock.

While I can't vouch for Ed Robinson, I can vouch for Scuba Shack! I've been to Maui twice and dove with them the whole week on both occasions. Charley Neal (owner) is quite a flirt and a ham, and when he's on the boat you're sure to have a great time! He's the one with the video camera too, so if you're diving w/Charley, you'll be on film. The other DMs are great too... Angela and Toby, I know for sure. Daryl (the boat captain) is bright, cheery and welcomes you in the aloha style! They also leave from the Kehei boat ramp and it's an early start (6 am). If you stay in one of Scuba Shack's accoms (the cabin is great, just 5 min from the boat ramp), they discount multi-day dives for you and you get free use of tanks and weights for unlimited shore diving.
Check out their website (www.scubashack.com), and if you go, tell Charley that Debi & John sent you! NO, I don't get any kickbacks from him!
They do book up early and ask you to pay by CC when you book. Apparently there were problems in the past with no-shows. A full boat is 12, with 6 per DM. They go to Molokini daily (1st dive) and then to various other sites closer to shore.

Ed Robbinson for the Crater

Extended Horizons for The Cathedrals. Much shorter boat ride that way.

Both OUTSTANDING operations! Not cattle boats and seriously, great people.

Hey Dan, I came on-line to basically ask the same question! Perfect timing! :) I'm also going to be in Maui on the 23-30th. Maybe we'll see you diving! Have fun and thanks for asking the question!

Melanie

Hey Dan, I came on-line to basically ask the same question! Perfect timing! :) I'm also going to be in Maui on the 23-30th. Maybe we'll see you diving! Have fun and thanks for asking the question!

Melanie

dbramley:
Saw a lot of hype about these guys in the internet. I am going to be in Maui October 23-30th. I booked 2 days diving with them but felt a little funny when I got off of the phone. I can't decide if the person I talked to was in a hurry or just not too friendly. This is the first time I booked a trip (fairly new diver) but it is likely I will not be back to Hawaii for a long time and I want this to be a good experience. Does anyone have any experience with them? Maybe I should cancel and re-book elsewhere, but I don't want to do that if it is just me. I booked a local dive (likely the crater) on Sunday and then Cathedrals on Wednesday. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan
Although I've not dove with them, I've heard good things about Ed Robinsons. Also Extended Horizons.

Where are you staying? If you're staying north around Kaanapali, it's a drive to Kihei where Robinson's leaves from - maybe 40-45 minutes on a bad day. The trade-off is that if you get on a boat in Kanaapali or Lahaina, it's a farther boat ride to certain sites. I've been there diving 4 times the last 12 yrs, generally I dove with operators near Lahaina when staying in Kanaapali or Kapalua and dove with operators that left out of Kihei or the Sportfishing dock when staying in Wailea.

I'd recommend - either from experience or other divers personal recommendations:

Ed Robinsons
Mike Severns
Extended Horizons
Pacific Dive
Lahaina Divers

Don't recommend:

Maui Diveshop

Steve

PM me if you want more info, I'm in Phx.

Just got back from Maui 2 days ago did 3 days with Ed RObinson. They are great. First class the whole way. Not a negative thing about them.

B&B is also great.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom