Edd Sorenson saves another one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any detail about if the divers are properly trained for cave?

The news person in the linked video mentioned that they were.

I wonder what the problem was that this guy was conscious and alert but couldn't exit.

When the sh** hits the fan some people freeze and are incapable of anything useful, even if they can give you an "OK".

In an emergency, "OK" really just means "I'm alive and possibly-sort-of-functioning". It doesn't mean that you won't have to take complete control of the situation and drag their ass back to safety.

flots.

Last edited:
Edd Sorenson has successfully rescued 4 divers in his career.

This would be his 5th. It is definitely new, because the description of the recovery does not match any of the other 4.

I am not sure, but I believe he may now have the majority of the world's known safe cave recoveries.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

I wonder what the problem was that this guy was conscious and alert but couldn't exit. Since he lived, hopefully he will tell us.

I would guess it is what is called passive panic. I am sure he was throughly resigned to his death before he saw the miracle of Edd's light.

I would guess it is what is called passive panic. I am sure he was thoroughly resigned to his death before he saw the miracle of Edd's light.

I founds something about that on rescuediver.org. Interesting, maybe I will go take a rescue course.

I founds something about that on rescuediver.org. Interesting, maybe I will go take a rescue course.

It is definitely part of a standard rescue diver course.

Why are there statements regarding the diver's state of mind - I mean, I understand speculation concerning potential passive panic, but to say someone was "thoroughly resigned to his death" seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility if one hasn't had a chat with the person in question.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is the A&I forum. Please keep speculation to a minimum. If you have a theory about what happened then please be clear that you are suggesting a theory.

Why are there statements regarding the diver's state of mind - I mean, I understand speculation concerning potential passive panic, but to say someone was "thoroughly resigned to his death" seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility if one hasn't had a chat with the person in question.

You're right--my bad.

I do wonder, though, what would go through my mind if I were near the end of my gas, knew it, and did not believe help was on the way.

The diver may have pretty frazzled with the stress of remaining calm as his hopes for surviving crept towards zero. If his tanks lasted longer than expected, he must have been able to control his breathing well despite incredible, unrelenting and extended stress. Edd is an incredible hero but the rescued diver put in a good show too.
It's not uncommon for folks to do a brilliant job of holding up and holding up and holding up, then fall apart when the big test is suddenly over and the pressure finally relents. But he did signal them and wait for the rescuers, he didn't mob them or be virtually catatonic. He must have been exhausted mentally, and with excellent reason. Sounds to me like he did alright in a very, very tough situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom