Edd Sorenson saves another one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please folks, the lead diver involved in the incident happens to be a friend of mine.
I posted in this thread to clear up some of the open questions regarding the incident, mainly the safety tank that I had placed in the system two days prior.

Now as to the rescue, I told you about his account of what happened and I tend to believe him.
Having said that, I can understand how his rescuer(s) might perceive the situation to be different.
And last but not least, I can absolutely see how the media would turn this into something completely different.

As to me, it does not matter, my friend and his buddy are alive and well. We can learn from the incident that happened back in the cave, there is little to learn from the media hype and misunderstandings concerning the rescue.

Thank you. I will take your word for it.

I reread the article and I think I discovered a source of some confusion (at least for me). The quote mentions looking at the ceiling and seeing a light and then communicating with the diver. In my mind, I pictured the diver trapped on the ceiling in an air pocket with air, but not enough to get out of the cave. I realize now the article never mentions vocal communication. Two divers talking in an air pocket is completely different than finding one who is on the right path, breathing air from a tank, and making his way out of the cave. The former is a rescue, the latter sounds like the diver saved himself, but Edd was there just in case.

Two divers talking in an air pocket is completely different than finding one who is on the right path, breathing air from a tank, and making his way out of the cave. The former is a rescue, the latter sounds like the diver saved himself, but Edd was there just in case.

The diver was on his own gas. He had 1200psi remaining in the safety tank and, this is what he told me, 600psi in one sidemount tank.
Those pressures were taken at the surface.
He did in fact signal Edd for help with his light and Edd certainly did help him. The victim was scootered out into the deco room, Edd made sure he decompressed properly, plus Edd even surfaced in between to coordinate the EMT efforts.
Rescue or not, necessary or not, it certainly was a job well done!

The diver was on his own gas. He had 1200psi remaining in the safety tank and, this is what he told me, 600psi in one sidemount tank.
Those pressures were taken at the surface.
He did in fact signal Edd for help with his light and Edd certainly did help him. The victim was scootered out into the deco room, Edd made sure he decompressed properly, plus Edd even surfaced in between to coordinate the EMT efforts.
Rescue or not, necessary or not, it certainly was a job well done!

Agreed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom