Editing GoPro video in Studio then PowerDirector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfSpring

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I am new to underwater shooting and am learning from mistakes as far as settings, if I need a filter and a slew of other stuff. I've got some decent shots and have gotten lucky using just GoPro Studio or just PowerDirector. I love PowerDirector and can do so much better things than studio but I like using the protune setting on studio on a lot of my clips it seems a cleaner color correction than what I can do with powerdirector. I wanted to see what others did and thought of using one editor on the clips and another to bring them all together. I'm currently using several GoPro's My main is the Hero 5, but my wife and 1 daughter use the 4s (1 black 1 silver) and I've got a 3+ Black and a 3 Silver we use as well as a couple of 2s. So settings are never the same between cameras in power director even though I set most the cameras up for the same settings. I use 1080 @ 60FPS ISO 400 and don't change to much else in the camera. Do I just need to get better at using PowerDirector or should I use studio to do the basic stuff and put it all together in PowerDirector? I just never seem to get my colors looking like what I'm seeing everywhere else with the same camera and settings.

I've edited dozens of scuba diving videos and have lots of followers on my FB page who really enjoy watching them. I've been doing this for several years, the video editing is almost as much fun as the diving itself.

I primarily shoot videos with a GoPro Hero 4 with two tray mounted Archon Video lights and a Flip 5 filter system (but never both at the same time).

I've tried tons of different video software programs. Many of them are rather complicated with a very long learning curve and aren't all that impressive, and Adobe Premiere Elements was typical of those. I tried it for a while but never got comfortable with it. So here's a tip. If you try a new video editing program and you're screwing around with it for hours and can't quite figure it out then try something else, such as the ones I mention below. A good program should be easy to learn and easy to use and give good solid dramatic results.

First I import the dive videos into Wondershare Filmora. The trial version sticks a watermark in the middle of the clip, so you're going to have to purchase it eventually if you like the results and want to use it for your clips.

It's very easy to use, especially for 1 click video enhancement, cutting out unwanted parts of clips, cropping and resizing clips, adding transitions and intro and ending text credits, and can do lots of other things as well including adding music. It's really easy to use and it's cheap.

Then I edit the video with Dive + software. It's an amazing piece of video software that is rapidly becoming top rated among divers all over the world and at the moment, it's free. It's only available for smart phones so you need to transfer the video to your phone, hit the 1 click edit button and then after it's done transfer it back to your computer. Dive + gets rid of the blue green and rebalances the reds, while greatly improving contrast, brightness and everything else that goes into making videos a lot nicer, and they keep updating and improving the software. I use the Flip 5, 3 filter system on my GoPro Hero 5 but I tend towards only using the shallow filter because I've found the deeper red filters are too much when ultimately editing with Dive +.

The results are quite satisfying.

I bring my clips into GoPro Studio and do rough trimming and use the Protune color correction then export the clips. I edit in Premiere Elements.

I use PowerDirector 18 with GoPro 9 and set white balance to auto, no filter. I take a short video of my white fins and use that to color correct in PowerDirector and create a Preset for my clips.

Back
Top Bottom