Editing videos....what program do you use???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok.. Had the Olympus E-pl2 underwater for the first time last week. Since it was a trial run on settings the video I shot is very blue. (couldn't get the white balance to set up right) So now I have really nice video that is blue.....I downloaded Vegas Movie Studio and the program comes up with a error message that it can't open the .AVI file. So.. is it the file....or is it the program???? What program do you use to correct white balance on .avi files?

I use Nero Video for editing. It has the option of decreasing blue by 20% (and other color options as well as brightness options). It seems decent enough for my purposes, especially at only $30. Then again, there are people with a lot more experience with video editing than I have.

It should:
Import AVI, DV, SWF, and MPEG 1 & MPEG 2 files
Does the Olympus write some sort of non-standard .AVI file?

I'm brand-new at video editing, having edited only four or five short ones, but I'm using iMovie and am pleased with it, though I have to admit I don't have any basis for comparing iMovie with any other software. I'll stick with it for now because 1) it wasn't hard to learn; 2) there are ways of editing the white balance easily; 3) it's easy to either snip out bits of the original file or to link other video files into the same project; 4) it exports the resulting video project in a number of different ways, including publishing straight to youtube or facebook. BTW, I'm shooting with an Oly XZ1 and can edit the avi files it writes just fine.

I have a PC not a mac...Will imovie even work???? Has any one used the Adobe Photoshop or Elements? I use the Lightroom 3 for the raw pics and it is great.....I think OLY is standard .avi....

No, iMovie won't work with Windows. Sucks for you since everybody I've talked to thinks it's the best consumer/amateur video editing software you can get. Windows does have its own MovieMaker software, and I guess it works fine for basic things. It might be enough for what you want. I've also heard that for more involved editing, you can buy Final Cut Pro, which is also an Apple product designed for advanced/professional video editing and includes many of the same features as iMovie, and it seems that it will run on Windows machines.

You might try converting the .avi file to something recognizable in Vegas like an .mpeg. Super is a free program that will do that for you easily. SUPER &copy - Media File Converter, Media File Encoder, Video Player, Media Player

If Windows Movie Maker also won't read the file, there's something non-standard about the way Olympus is writing it. IIRC Movie Maker doesn't have any color correction capability though - IDK as I haven't used the newer versions. It's psrt of the free Windows Live package. But it will also install several other Microsoft specific programs you may not want. http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker

Since you're familiar with Lightroom and Adobe, try Adobe Premiere Elements. There's a free trial on their website and it's under $100 retail. You don't need the bundle with Photoshop unless you want to edit individual frames. (or photos) http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/products/premiereelements.html?kw=c&sdid=EPZAZ&skwcid=TC|22180|adobe premiere elements trial||S|b|8526147554

I think the newest version of Final Cut won't run on windows. You would have to find an older version out there somewhere. The good news for mac users is if I am reading it correctly the new version of Final Cut X is only 300 bucks, good on any mac.
I have final cut express, which I paid 300 dollars for a few years ago. I prefer it to the newest Imovie but still use Imovie (the first HD version) from time to time. It to me, was the simplest ever version and it still handles most HD that I throw at it unless it's AVCHD, then you need the newer Imovie.
Anyway...having totally derailed the original question....Adobe Premiere is a close alternative to Final Cut, but probably more than you need now.
I don't think lightroom or photoshop will help you with your video needs.

you can buy Final Cut Pro, which is also an Apple product designed for advanced/professional video editing and includes many of the same features as iMovie, and it seems that it will run on Windows machines.
Not any more...

from geniusdv.com:
UPDATE: I've got some bad news for Windows fans who were hoping Final Cut Pro would run on a Windows operating system. With the introduction of Final Cut Pro X, it's unlikely you will ever see a version that will run natively in Windows. Apple has rewritten FCP using more than just modern coding techniques like 64-bit programming. The new Final Cut Pro X is built on technologies exclusive to Apple's Mac OS X operating system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom