Eel Pics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lady in my diveclub that was attacked in the face by an eel. Believe me, you don't want to experience that. Why not use the zoom???

I generally get as close as the eel will let me. Often less than a foot. I'll take a first picture at 2 or 3 feet, then keep slowly drifting in closer, snapping a picture once a second. When the eel starts to look nervous or I'm about to bump into it, then I'll pull the camera back and drift over the eel's hole. I've gotten my best pics with the camera just 6-8 inches away.

-Mark

here you go. This is at night with my macro lens on so I was close probably with about half a foot (If you have used one of these inon macro lens you will know that you need to be close). Just judge by their behaviour - if they appear aggressive then back off - if friendly like this one get close.

23754IMG_8368.jpg

Unfortunately as I was about to take this shot I got and urchin spine through my leg and obviously moved the camera - cutting off his mouth.

I'm in heaven!! I love eels and these are great shots, Everyone. Personally I think there should be a Sticky just for me...Eels, eels and more eels...so I can see more everyday :wink:

How close is too close? Pretty much if your camera won't focus you are too close. Other than that, you are never too close. Do be aware of the behaviour. They can inflict some serious damage, but this is not, despite popular perception, common at all.

It would be a rare dive that I wasn't within a couple of inches of some substantial (and some not so) eels. I do occasionally think about my fingers, but it tends to be a fleeting thought :eyebrow:

I've always liked this shot. The shrimp weren't obvious until I got closer.

morayandshrimp3.jpg

Our old boss had a saying:

"Eels, bad eyes and sharp teeth....a bad combination!"
The closest I get in is about a foot or so, but mainly they will pull back themselves.
One day I passed a coral head and an eel shot out at me, it was very scary. Lucky it didn't swim after me.

Image by justleesa (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

This one was close enough for me, he was being a little bit grumpy
10166White_Mouth_Moray.jpg

Here's another I took while in Curacao (two juvenile eels)

Image by fins (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

I have many times had some eels bumping the lens or port of my camera while I was trying to shoot close-up shots. I think the reflection in the port draws them in.

once one even gave me a little "love" bite. The eel was not aggressive, and may have been just checking to see if my finger was one of the hot dogs the local guides feed the fish with. I actually did not know it happened until I was on the boat and another diver who was watching me shoot said "That eel bit you" I looked at my finger and sure enough there were several very small marks on my index finger

A fellow up here (old old old time diver) use to carry a cut off broomstick handle. He would let the wolfish bite on that a few times and according to him once they realize they can't harm you than they become docile. He then picks them up and holds them while he photographs them.
I DO NOT RECOMEND YOU TRY THIS. This guy is not all there. Very good guy and very knowledgeable but 51 cards short of a full deck. I've heard of him spending 4 hours laying in 12 inches of water to get the perfect picture of a rainbow trout.
JK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom