Effects of "Open Water" on Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I'm already ebaying all my equipment, want to beat the rush........
Back where you got it in the first place. I got first dibs on the Healthways vest...

ShakaZulu:
I'm already ebaying all my equipment, want to beat the rush........

In that case I'll wait until I buy - best to be in a buyer's market then :wink:

mccabejc:
Just saw a promo for the movie "Open Water" where two divers get left at sea and presumably get stuff chomped off by sharks.

I was trying to figure out what that will do to the popularity of scuba as a recreational sport. I'm not sure if it would freak people out and make them stay away, or get people saying "Hey, maybe we should try that and see if we can get left at sea and have to fight off sharks... COOOLLL !!!"

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
I found this on the SSI webpage this last week. I thought it was something that SSI felt they needed to make an official response to the movie.

SSI's Position

Jerry

It sounds as stupid as the Abyss... or should I say the Abysmal.

mccabejc:

I was trying to figure out what that will do to the popularity of scuba as a recreational sport. I'm not sure if it would freak people out and make them stay away, or get people saying "Hey, maybe we should try that and see if we can get left at sea and have to fight off sharks... COOOLLL !!!"

Not anywhere near as much as Jaws might have when it came out.

actually, I was talking about this to one of the owners of my LDS. He is curious what kind of impact it will have. I think I remember him saying he half way expects to see a lot more questions, like someone stated in an earlier post. But he said he doesnt expect it to have the impact that Jaws did.

mccabejc:
Just saw a promo for the movie "Open Water" where two divers get left at sea and presumably get stuff chomped off by sharks.

:crafty:
Well anything is possible, but it all depends on how good of a dive shop your doing business with. As far as being scared of diving with sharks.... I think not, I am looking into doing a Great White dive in the next year.

Rich

What!!!!!?? The Abyss was a great movie. Anybody actually seen "Open Water"? I just watched The Big Blue for the first time last weekend. Best diving movie I've seen yet.

Seabear70:
It sounds as stupid as the Abyss... or should I say the Abysmal.
What!!!!!?? The Abyss was a great movie. Anybody actually seen "Open Water"? I just watched The Big Blue for the first time last weekend. Best diving movie I've seen yet.

The Big Blue was good, that I'll admit. You might also want to see "the Dive"

But the Abysmall???? Hrm... Let me count the problems.... They were below 2000' ambient?, only one person had HPNS? Why would you put a drilling platform on the sea floor with a drill ship on the surface? What's with the Liquid Polymer diving suit? A suit dive to the bottom of the Mariannas trench? Don't get me started on those dive suits... or the hard hats.

Need I go on? I can rewatch the movie if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom