Egypt or Jordan Diving??? I Cannot Decide! PLEASE HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblegirl,

You will have a blast! I had the privilege of being able to go to Egypt for 10 days and do some diving in Sharm. I cannot speak for diving in Jordan, but the diving in Sharm was very nice (I was there beginning of November). There was plenty to see both large and small, a vast number of dive sites and I did fine in a 3mm full suit. There was also lots to do on the land side of the trip. I was there with a blond girl who stuck out like a sore thumb and we didn't any troubles at all, though we had an excellent Egyptian host. Safety seemed to be a big concern for the Egyptians as well, looking under the car every time you pull into a parking lot and x-raying your bags every time you enter the hotel etc. We were treated respectfully every step of the way, and at no time did I feel unsafe. Hope this helps in your decision.

Thanks for everyone's reply! This certinally does help me in choosing where I should go.I just want to make sure that I do it correctly the first time because being from Canada, who knows when or if I will ever go back.

As for gear rentals, did anyone have a problem getting gear, and/or getting well maintained gear? Since I will be backpacking, I really don't want to lug any gear around with me. I MAY have room for my reg. but that's about it. I travel reallllllly light...

Any tips?

Red Sea Shadow is right, all the rental gear I've seen and used was in good shape. I am sure, regardless of where you dive in the Red Sea, you will enjoy yourself tremendously.

Phil

skip aqaba and go to eilat instead.

You have got to be kidding. While I recommended the diving out of Sharm for having more to offer in terms of different dives, the reefs and marine life off Aqaba are far superior to that in Eilat. Eilat may have been the birthplace of Red Sea package diving back in the day, but most of the reefs are pretty knackered now - if you want pristine corals, stick with Aqaba. And the Cedar Pride is a fab wreck, too.

Mark

Gear is available here in Egypt in good condition.

I second that, the gear I used was in good condition and waiting for me on the boat. The only thing I took with me was my 3mm wetsuit. You couldn't ask for an easier way to dive, I just walked on the boat and went diving. The divemaster and crew all spoke excelent english as well.

Any ide if a 3.5 mm wet suit would be enough for diving Dahab during winter (february)? thanks

Back
Top Bottom