Egypt Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.. I had no idea things were still pretty heated in the "come to Egypt/ don't come to Egypt" camp.

I'm with Crowley. If there had been any risk to my own safety, I would have packed my lappie, hubbie and the cat (not in that order of course) and high tailed it out of here.

Anyway, Sharm is thankfully a little livelier than over the last couple of months. Whilst it was an incredible experience to dive here with no other boats in the vicinity, realistically, this does not make for a good holiday on land. There is something spooky about a holiday resort being empty, rather like an empty theatre or cinema.. it is just not right. So it is welcoming to see once again, groups of tourists wandering around Naama Bay in the evenings, still not the lively bustle that we became used to, but things will gradually get back to normal. It has been nice to hear other languages wafting around as people walk past too.

Thank you to those who have supported us and continued with their holidays in these tough times.

Somebody entered this thread "blaming his luck" that his other half doesn't want to come to Egypt right now, which indicates that he, himself, was more than willing to pay a visit. Then all of a sudden the very same person started on throwing stones.

You never know the intentions of people.

I would visit Egypt in a heart beat again and am still trying to make the point that in my opinion its relatively safe. What I took issue with was jeering dismissals of anyone who tries to have a reasonable, objective discussion on the matter.

My opinion is that there's very little chance of anything happening. However, there is a certain amount of instability and this runs the risk of ruining holiday if mass protests/disruption occured again. Flights may be disrupted, holiday operators might cancel at short notice. That makes it difficult for someone like me who has to submit holidays 6 months in advance, and doesnt have room to change them at short notice. I would gladly pay extra money, if I could, for a bit more certainty on the whole matter.

Hope the tourist trade there picks up quickly, and hopefully the g/f will come around. Of all the places I've dived in the world, Egypt is miles ahead.

I would visit Egypt in a heart beat again and am still trying to make the point that in my opinion its relatively safe. What I took issue with was jeering dismissals of anyone who tries to have a reasonable, objective discussion on the matter.

My opinion is that there's very little chance of anything happening. However, there is a certain amount of instability and this runs the risk of ruining holiday if mass protests/disruption occured again. Flights may be disrupted, holiday operators might cancel at short notice. That makes it difficult for someone like me who has to submit holidays 6 months in advance, and doesnt have room to change them at short notice. I would gladly pay extra money, if I could, for a bit more certainty on the whole matter.

Hope the tourist trade there picks up quickly, and hopefully the g/f will come around. Of all the places I've dived in the world, Egypt is miles ahead.
Thanks for the clarification.

That's pretty much my position. My reason for being reluctant to book for Sharm is not based on any fear of the sharks, the diving, the political instability or the perceived dangers, but rather concern over logistics.

A lot of flights have been cancelled and any changes to itineraries or access to the beaches/boats are likely to have a serious impact both financially and professionally in terms of my taking time off work and making the most of my 'diving window'. Plus, I know of people who had their Sharm flight tickets cancelled when two of the UK agents went bust last year who are still now trying to get their money back from ABTA and/or their credit card companies.

The fact that things have settled down since the 'revolution' ended is positive though - I will keep checking the flights/accomodation booking online to see if anything cheap comes up from Bristol!

Everything is working just fine now :D

Man....go figure! I missed the sharks and riots.....any chance for a tsunami or massive earthquake? LOL.... No worries....I need break from all the excitement here in A-ghan...AND most def looking forward to empty dive sights....going to be EPIC!
See ya in a few days Crowley!
HOLA
-Rock

hi crowley,,hows things?? glad to read things are getting back to normal again tourisim wise,, we are are looking forward to a week or 2 in sharm next month perhaps but we have heard there not selling packages from ireland just yet have u heard anything about this

Back
Top Bottom