electronic compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have YET to see an electronic compass outperform the old classics. ALl of the ones that I have dealt with are hard to read, take forever to resolve, and are a PIB (Pain In the Butt). My advice is to stick to a mechanical compass.

I have to agree with the doc, all that I have seen require a push of a button to get a bearing. Kinda hard when your navigating.

Dave

I too have heard nothing good about electronic compasses. As Net Doc and Aquamaniac said, go with a regular compass. I'd recommend checking out the Suunto SK7 compass.

Does it require a "button press" to get a bearing, or is it always reading the heading.
Also what is the refresh rate?
Thanks
Dave

Electronic compasses depend on two magentic sensors and need to be calibrated for the "dip" (Imagine the world cut in half, the north pole and south pole are below you, not on the horizon). This is why you typically rotate them through a full circle. As a result, having an electronic compass slightly out of level can wreak havoc on its accuracy. I'd never consider one without a fully-gimballed sensor.

Stick with the classic style for diving -- the Suunto SK-7 is available for about $50 US, delivered (diveinn)

I had a Uwatec digital compass. Used it one dive...'Nuff said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom