Emergency Signal Flares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If using the flare to be seen by the dive boat at night, thats a little excessive IMO
They're for emergencies

If a dive charter rents them, people will probably shoot them off like crazy

Dang tourists!

Could they make a tank explode?

There are better choices in signaling devices, but if you want to get radical - enough money can buy you a GPS/radio to carry on dives.

Yeah the GPS/radio deal looks cool...but anyhow I vote strobe also in this old thread lol.

Last night dive we used my brothers strobe on the swim in and out since it was a beach dive to help boats avoid running us over. Things are bright. With an SMB that you can attach it to the top would be a good combo.

wow. flares. another internet bogyman to add to my save a dive kit. Now I need flares in addition to CD's, trash bags, Capri suns, die markers, rolls of toiletpaper...

If there is that much of a concern, get an epirb.

McMurdo Fast Find PLB

Canister for Fast Find

fastfind-canister-open-w.jpg

Nautilus Lifeline - not out yet but suppose to ship soon.

Nautilus_Lifeilne_Technical_Specs.jpg

That Nautilus Lifeline kicks butt ... Nautilus Lifeline Diver Radio and GPS
... along with the other very useful features, the waterproof to 425ft closed, 3ft when open, is outstanding .. no need for a bulky cannister
(note: this is line of sight, radio communications. It does not link to a satellite on the 406MHz band and as such it might not be suited to "diving at the end of the world" dive sites) .. $300

The McMurdo FastFind is a 406MHz Satellite GPS Personal Locater Beacon (PLB) ... http://www.customdivers.com/fast-find-210-plb-358-p.asp and while a bit more expensive, it can be used at those "end of world" locations .. $220 at Landfall Navigation ... http://www.landfallnavigation.com/fastfind.html ... only waterproof to 33 feet for a short time, it's going to need a cannister

Last edited:
That Nautilus Lifeline kicks butt ... Nautilus Lifeline Diver Radio and GPS
... along with the other very useful features, the waterproof to 425ft closed, 3ft when open, is outstanding .. no need for a bulky cannister
(note: this is line of sight, radio communications. It does not link to a satellite on the 406MHz band and as such it might not be suited to "diving at the end of the world" dive sites) .. $300

The McMurdo FastFind is a 406MHz Satellite GPS Personal Locater Beacon (PLB) ... Quality Diving Equipment by Custom Divers - Fast Find 210 PLB and while a bit more expensive, it can be used at those "end of world" locations .. $220 at Landfall Navigation ... FastFind 210 PLB w/ GPS ... only waterproof to 33 feet for a short time, it's going to need a cannister

The "bulky canister" is actually about the same size as the Nautilus Lifeline. It measures ~5" tall and diameter of 2 3/4". It is also useable everywhere, not just "diving at the end of the world". The Nautilus Lifeline may be great once it comes out and becomes a proven technology. Right now, it is still vaporware. I have the McMurdo and will ad the Nautilus once it is shipping and others have tested it for me - so maybe 2nd gen if issues are discovered. If the issues don't exisit or are minor, I will add it to my kit too.

What I like about the PLB is that as long as it is working, I know a response is required and being made. The Nautilus is a radio and requires that I be in range of a vessel or land station and someone is listening. Since it can broadcast on an emergency frequency, really it just means someone has to be within radio range. What I don't like about the PLB is that it's a one shot device and then send it back to the manufacturer for a new battery. But how many times are you going to be lost at sea? The other is that it does require a canister for waterproof beyond a few feet. At least the canister is small and come with a webbing mount for your BC.

Back
Top Bottom