Emergency Signal Flares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Sure you can.... You're just thinking that you can't carry them on a commercial airplane.

I stand semi-corrected. If you are willing to pay the shipping charges, the Hazmat handling fees, and do all the planning and logistics to get them there for your dive, it is certainly possible, depending on whether or not local regulations will allow you to carry them.

It is much easier to carry a battery powered strobe. :D

Cheers!

On a live aboard in Oz the dive op provided the smoke/flare type that we handed back at the end...SO

Why not have dive ops provide the smoke/flare type charge $1 (rent) for every diver then they could afford to get news ones on expiry, this gets around the problem of flying with them. I don't think divers would object to a $1 bit of security and you never know the dive op may actually make a little on it.

BigJetDriver69:
It is much easier to carry a battery powered strobe. :D

I gotta agree with that. You also don't have to worry about
the fire hazzard in packing a strobe with your gear (assuming
you remove the batteries so it doesn't accidentally turn on
and get too hot, like any dive light).

NYPI:
SkyBlazer Scuba Signal Pack <--------searchable

A great idea for personal safety but I was unable to get any information on its depth limits or safety record. I have formally requested information from ORION its manufacturer. I will forward you a copy of their reply when it's received. The distributors I found could not answer my most simple questions on depth rating or composition.

I personally use a Magnum Rescue Laser Flare ( around 100.00 USD )as a redundant backup to the 3 firefly beacons I carry. Laser flares are depth rated to a very conservative 80ft but that can be easily countered by placing it in a small dry bag when diving deep. They can be transported on aircraft with out problems in fact I take them in my carry-on. Also during a dive they can be used as a very affective pointer/attention getter during day or night. I have also personally tested it to a minimum distance of 14 miles line of sight on land with a buddy that has his pilots license.

Just my 2 cents. I tend to be very pickey about what I carry down.

Mike

As for the depth limits 130ft according to the website. For 20 bucks it would not be bad to try them. God willing I'll never be in a position to have to use them.

Features
Withstands water pressure to a depth of 130 ft. for up to 20 dives
425 ft. launch altitude
8.5 seconds average burn time
waterproof and floats
Hand Launched

Thanks for the info guys, I will research, was just lost last week for only an hour, reevaluating my gear from the ground up, from how my whistle is configured and stored, better safety sausage and the possibility of flares that could have seen us rescued immediately. Plus other things of course ....

Day time flares would have made the three searching boats & jet ski see us immediately, we could see them & with 3 safety sausages & 3 whistles going in calm weather it took an hour to be found. If it ever happens again I want a better chance. In the area we were lost we were always going to be found, but we all analyzed our gear, will be interesting to see what the other guys have added next dive.
Cheers
Gav

I'd like to call for a :doctor: Technical Ruling here.

5 years, 8 months, 30 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes

MODs... is that a record? :hm:

Picture25-3.png

It's OK, it's his first post :)

... also, did you have a light and did you try that?

One thing that's come up is to know about the area in which your going to dive, the traffic, currents, etc. and tailor your safety equipment to that
... remote? near strong currents that would sweep you 100 miles off shore overnight? ... maybe need a PLB

[hijack]
I'd like to call for a :doctor: Technical Ruling here.

5 years, 8 months, 30 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes

MODs... is that a record? :hm:

(Did you also ask this in another thread, recently?) Sorry, not even close. I'm not a Mod, but was once amused enough to note down the deadest revived thread at 9 years, 5 months, 5 days (last posted 25 Aug 2001, updated 30 Jan 2011): Fat Cell Growth and DCS?? from Ask Dr Deco.

Seen a few 8-9 year threads. Might have seen one >10 years, but didn't note it down at the time, so can't prove it. :D
[/hijack]

For Which Purpose!!!

There are safer and better lasting alternatives. i.e.: Flash Beacon and other products in the market. Flares can be dangerous, can't take them outside the country or by flights, and some places trains and tour buses (if security checks apply)

They don't last as long as other products and they are not economical "as others provided pricing"

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom