Empress Expedition 2004-Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great trip report Steve. It brought back memories of the one trip i was on to the Empress. I have told people in the past that the Empress is a hard dive and you really need to be trained and experienced to venture onto her. I think the only way to truly realize this is to actually be there. Yours and Lisas talk of the poor vis, monstrous size, and heavy currents brought back memories of my dives on her. When I dove the Empress a few years ago I was a relatively inexperienced "techie" and so my dives were very limited as to where we ventured on the wreck. I didnt mind that one bit as I was truly awed at her size. I cant wait to see her again!

aquaoren:
:D smart people these Dutch

Can we make it a deaf wife and a blind husband....oh wait, there's no ring on my finger yet....teehee!

Does that mean that when you get married you agree to be either blind or deaf?

The problem is, you two would be argueing on who's gonna be the one gabbing all the time.

Please pick me to be the deaf one if I'm going to around you two any longer!

$hiot, it felt like OTE was with us the entire friggin' trip!

Everytime I turned around you two were on the damn phone, and what was worse, we had to endure the whole conversation as you wouldn't leave the room.

Scuba_Steve:
The problem is, you two would be argueing on who's gonna be the one gabbing all the time.

Please pick me to be the deaf one if I'm going to around you two any longer!

$hiot, it felt like OTE was with us the entire friggin' trip!

Everytime I turned around you two were on the damn phone, and what was worse, we had to endure the whole conversation as you wouldn't leave the room.

LMAO,

I didn't hear you asking me to leave the room? And you didn't have to listen.....at least I'm not afraid to tell him I miss him or that I love him in front of other people...hehehe.

Steve-O if I practice really hard, I'll take you up on going next year! You know that the Empress is one of my dream dives. As far as the deafness thing with regard to married couples, I have a standing bet with Wifey that the longer a couple remains married, the more the husband loses the ability to hear the specific frequencies that make up her voice. Kinda like a bandpass filter in reverse :) She knows I'm kidding, but I like to perpetuate the myth by aimlessly staring out the window or saying 'huh?' a lot :wink:

-Frank

scuba-punk:
Steve-O if I practice really hard, I'll take you up on going next year! You know that the Empress is one of my dream dives. As far as the deafness thing with regard to married couples, I have a standing bet with Wifey that the longer a couple remains married, the more the husband loses the ability to hear the specific frequencies that make up her voice. Kinda like a bandpass filter in reverse :) She knows I'm kidding, but I like to perpetuate the myth by aimlessly staring out the window or saying 'huh?' a lot :wink:

-Frank

Hey there Frank,

When are you coming back up for another visit?

We have some other wrecks for you to conquer.....

The Empress was awesome.

Your explanation hits in right on the nose I think....that would explain why OTE.....hahaha

I'm going to be in the 1000 Islands area over long weekend for our (Wifey and me) 5th annual Ontario Dive pilgramage. After that who knows? I'll officially be out of vacation, but that doesn't preclude doing a drive and dive weekend to Welland :) If there's room on the boat, I can bring some other P'Tucky wreck heads up! And speaking of conquering, I would really like to get another stab at the Tiller hehehe... Plus, you'll be happy to know that I figured out how to put a boltsnap on a toonie so that I can clip my JST into my pocket in order to have it ready for re-boarding from the water. :p

-Frank

DiveMistress2:
LMAO,

I didn't hear you asking me to leave the room? And you didn't have to listen.....at least I'm not afraid to tell him I miss him or that I love him in front of other people...hehehe.

20 times a day for 8 days?

Hey Frank m' buddy, I know we have some time here, but I'd really like to do that dive with you. We'd both have to do lots of work, and for me, especially line work.

My plan, if I ever get to go there again, would be more penetration to some specific areas that just seem to call me. It may turn out there's poop-all there, but it doesn't matter. The childrens playground was probably a bust for Paul (My dive buddy on that dive), but to me, it was just like the picture before it sank. (OK, I guess I was narced!) I wouldn't have traded that dive for any other the whole trip.

I can't get over how nasty even 75-100ft inside can get. It just seems so "little", penetration wise.

That was this years take-home lesson for me.

I guess I've got a whole pile to learn yet.

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
I guess I've got a whole pile to learn yet.

Steve

Don't we all... As long as the line goes straight to the surface on a lift bag, I've got that worked out pretty well now. When it comes to running the line horizontally, I need A LOT more practice :)

Man, could you imagine a 'zen' dive on the Empress? That would be the coolest thing.

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom