Empty Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I assembled my first pair of doubles last month. I used a brand new pair of E8-130's. I assembled them at the LDS myself. Nitrox only tanks and everything...

But when it came time to fill them I had to leave. I was told that since these were new tanks, and I had just pulled the dessicant caps off to assemble them as doubles that day, that because I just put valves on and stainless DIN plugs that the tanks were effectively sealed and the could be left that way with no problems.

Should I be slapping myself on the forehead and taking my new doubles in for a VIP before I fill them now?

If they didn't come with VIP labels, your LDS may very well insist on inspecting them before filling them. You need labels on them, one way or the other, and that means inspection. Which, unfortunately, means breaking them back down so they can be looking into...

Thats what I figured...IF I went to a different shop.

The cute girl at the LDS I was at pulled off the VIP stickers herself so she could align the nitrox decals just right. I bought the beasts from her personally so she knows exactly how old they are and where they came from. So if I go back to her I cant see a reason she wouldnt fill them...

I was just worried about the time frame that has passed since they were assembled and how long they have been sitting sealed in my apartment.

Unless the tanks were chilled and the humidity were excessive when you had them open there can only be so many grains of moisture that got in there while you did the set-up. I have never seen a dive shop use an environmental chamber when doing a VIP.

I would revisit the "cute girl" and ask that their local VIP stickers be added. If you bought all of this stuff from then it's a customary formality. If she was clueless enough to remove them and let you leave the store without them then I suspect you will need to deal with someone a little more aware of the process.

It's possible that they will insist on seeing inside, even if only to verify the factory condition. By any chance did you look inside with a light?

Pete

It was a warm day outside...but not so humid in the shop that it was noticable the day I did the setup.

She removed them to fit the nitrox stickers, then when we both went to the drawer armed with a hole punch to get new VIP stickers we discovered that the shop had none left. Not surprising, if you know the shop owner...

So we both knew I needed them, and she promised to have them for me when I got back. Whenever I got back. So in actuality she is cute AND not completely clueless!

I did peer inside with a light before I assembled them. But not knowing exactly what to look for, I cannot say with any certainty that all was well inside. However I did not notice anything that looked obviously like r
ust or signs of corrosion except at the upper lip of the neck where the o-ring sits. That was wiped clean before it was lubed up and the valve installed.

Why in the world did she remove the VIP stickers? Isn't that like a no-no for scuba cylinders?

We were mounting the large nitrox stickers.

Our intent was to remove the slapped on VIP stickers, get the nitrox stickers centered and mounted inbetween the bands and looking all snazzy, then put new VIP stickers nice and centered on the BP side of the tanks. Make the whole thing look even and such.

Should have verified that the drawer had VIP stickers in stock...Just my luck they didnt.

Maybe things have changed, but I seemed to recall you never used to need VIP stickers on tanks within 1 year of new manufacture or hydro.

Maybe things have changed, but I seemed to recall you never used to need VIP stickers on tanks within 1 year of new manufacture or hydro.

You may be right...and I may be using the wrong terminology.

But even if a "VIP" sticker wasnt required on a tank within it's first year of manufacture...shouldnt there be SOME sticker there so that people would know that it was manufactured within the past year?

You may be right...and I may be using the wrong terminology.

But even if a "VIP" sticker wasnt required on a tank within it's first year of manufacture...shouldnt there be SOME sticker there so that people would know that it was manufactured within the past year?

The date of manufacture is stamped in the neck of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom