End Dive signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring,

"Pointing one index finger in the air and twirling it around"

Don't you have to surface to do that?

Omicron,

"if by using both of your hands to signal something gets you completely out of trim, maybe you need to practice a little more."

I beieve you and DIR Tec Diver are envisioning two different signs. I could be wrong, but I think DIR Tec Diver is thinking of the arms crossed in front of the chest, sounds like you are thinking of them crossed in front of your face. If you xcross them in front of your face, you'll have to be heads up for your buddy to see it clearly.

OTOH, what is wrong with positions other than horizontal? I'm horizontal most of the time too, but there are times I want a different attitude in the water. When I want a head up attitude, I assume it, when I want a head down attitude, I assume it. Sometimes I switch to supine.

Omicron once bubbled...
Okay....first off, if by using both of your hands to signal something gets you completely out of trim, maybe you need to practice a little more.

I don't think trim is an issue with two handed signals. It might be for some, but it's not the reason I dislike them. I generally have a light or something else in my other hand so it's hard to signal with it. If you have a canister light with a goodman handle you run the risk of blinding the person you're "talking" to.

Cornfed

Walter once bubbled...
O-ring,

"Pointing one index finger in the air and twirling it around"

Don't you have to surface to do that?
Hehe...oops, my bad...I meant in the WATER..

*snip*

OTOH, what is wrong with positions other than horizontal? I'm horizontal most of the time too, but there are times I want a different attitude in the water. When I want a head up attitude, I assume it, when I want a head down attitude, I assume it. Sometimes I switch to supine. [/B]

There is nothing wrong with not being horizontal all the time...in fact, some environments/situations require that you NOT be horizontal.

Change direction: open hand chop~n~point in direction to go

Turn dive: draw circle with raised index finger

Egress and ascend: index finger pointing egress direction w/thumb up

Surface to first stop: thumb up then palm down followed by depth sign

Move up to next stop: open palm down then move semi-circular to higher level

Surface: thumb(s) up

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

If you want to signal danger, close your fist and point it in the direction of the danger. Again no need to go out of trim

In ASL (American Sign Language), closing you fist and pushing it out in front of you means "Wait". Usually pointed at the person you want to wait. I would never have understood that signal as "danger".

There seem to be a plethora of hand signals out there ... which is why it's always a good idea to review them if you're pairing up with an unfamiliar dive buddy.

Getting back to the original question ... I was taught to indicate that by giving the ascent (thumbs up) signal followed by the "little bit" (hand horizontal with index finger extended slightly above the thumb) signal. When we reach the desired depth, give the "level off here" (horizontal sweep of the hand) signal.

Most of my dive buddies seem to understand that signal sequence ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To ascend, but not to surface would it work to give the thumbs up signal with the right hand, then put the left hand on top of it to show that surfacing is not intended.

Communicating a new depth would be the next step. This may be done with another set of hand signals.

As others have said, no matter what signals are used each buddy has to know what each one means.

joe

I will use Uncle Pug’s (and others who said the same):

Egress and ascend: index finger pointing egress direction w/thumb up

Surface to first stop: thumb up then palm down followed by depth sign

Move up to next stop: open palm down then move semi-circular to higher level

Surface: thumb(s) up

Now all I have to do is discuss this with my buddy (wife.) I can guarantee that, knowing that she thinks I am a dufus, and hearing another change in how we dive, she will give me the international hand/finger signal - I sure everyone knows this one and the meaning is crystal clear.

Great responses and I still am learning this sport – oops, activity and need to practice. Just as my wife says I need to practice my walking, as after years of Gung Fu training and instructing, I walk as I was trained – a bit different from my normal way of walking (like a duck).

Hands crossed in an X is the usual "stop" sign I've always seen around here with students doing exercises.

It is also frequently used as an "end dive" signal.

Closed fist extended is quite common in South-East Asia for danger.

This said, whether you dive with your SO or with a total stranger, just make sure you check signals before jumping into the water.

I usually dive with my buddies so they know my hand signals. To stop the dive i or someone else gives "thumbs up". But if someone wants to ascent we open our hand palm facing down and push hand forward with 45ish degree with direction one wants to ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom