End Dive signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM once bubbled...
My regular buddy and I used the thumb-up “ascend” signal to end the dive, but there are issues with this. If we are away from the boat or shore, it could mean, “go shallower” not end the dive. And, if we wanted to end the dive, we would point back to the boat or entry point and make the “swim” signal (two fingers mimicking kicking legs.) But this could also mean, “lets head back for - whatever reason”, and would require more signals to indicate what my buddy wanted to do. Another way is to write “End Dive” on a slate, but don't always carry them.

How do you indicate to end the dive (other than the usual – use one-third of air, then return or pre-determined point)?

For me, thumbs up ends the dive, always without question.

If solo ascents are cool, that's pre-arranged.

If I'm coming up on deco, I make a "T" with my hands, show fingers for how many minutes.

If I wanna go upwards, or anywhere, I use two fingers wiggling to signal walking, then point to where I'm going.

Walter:
Thumb up. If i simply want to ascent now, a simple thumb up does it. If I want to go to the mooring line and ascend, I point in the direction of the ascent line and then thumb up. If I want to ascent to a shallower depth, I'll give the thumb up, followed by a horizontal slash of a palm down open hand, followed by the number (in feet) of the depth where I want to stop.

The X you describe usually means "danger."
Good point . Ex is not my signal of choice. I raised this question w my dive instructor last week n he didnt have an answer. We need a signal that superceeds all others when we,ve just had enough and just want to suface.The thumbs up , to surface ,, usualy followed by a (level off at) signal .is ok for non dyer circumstances. But perhaps a (your out ) baseball type gesture would work . Palms down . Crossing your hands over one another .As if to say ( I QUIT ) would be internationally understandable..

I think it,s a good bet that when your diving with a regular buddy ,you get to know their personal limits ,intuitavley you know their body language.If they are in distress .and so forth. ......But unless you are planning to dive with this person and this person only ,,Till death do you part...I think it,s important to continue to strive for clear, concise and universal signals . To keep us alive 4 the next dive.....

NWGratefulDiver:
There seem to be a plethora of hand signals out there ... which is why it's always a good idea to review them if you're pairing up with an unfamiliar dive buddy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You're right. When I learned, one thumb up followed by an open hand shrug was "do you WANT to go up?" Two thumbs up was "Go up NOW."

Doppler:
I have posted illustrations you may find useful

Thread starts here
Those look curiously like combat stealth signals.

Back
Top Bottom